Got a tractor hauler (finally)

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #41  
Roger that.

But some folks do it their own way. Here's my contractor backing his JD410C TLB off his deckover trailer

View attachment 190666View attachment 190667

Those ramps can't be more than 5 ft long. Looks like fun.

I had him over to my place to dig a couple of holes to bury several concrete pony walls (lower right in the 2nd photo) left over from an old dairy barn that burned down or fell down, I don't know which. Cheaper than breaking up the concrete and hauling it away.

Why doesn't he use the back-hoe to inch himself down those ramps.?? I had have that bucket engaged.

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #42  
Correct. That NPR uses 16" rims to keep the bed low.

I'm restoring a 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF tractor down to the nut and bolt level

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...62478-mid-mount-milimeter-bf-restoration.html

and I spent a good deal of time relining the brakes and getting the linkage working correctly. My tractor club requires a brake inspection for insurance purposes before allowing one of these old babies to participate in club functions.

Of course, one of the reasons I got the NPR is to haul old tractors that I find on CL etc. back to my shop for restoration. As you say, these could be half running (or completely dead) and the brakes could be garbage. That's why I'll install that 9000 lb winch on the bed.

I had followed that link, and am glad to see old iron being saved from being sold to China as scrap.

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally)
Why doesn't he use the back-hoe to inch himself down those ramps.?? I had have that bucket engaged.

I've seen that method used before. Roy didn't seem to think it was necessary.

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #44  
Don't get too worried about being a little overweight. I get stopped frequently hauling stone in my dump and my friends tri-axle (80,000 lb) I drive for him.

Most cops that pull us over allow a 3% "overage" factor. I was in my IH single axle dump with a gross of 33,700lbs (max is 33,000 lbs) and he let me go no problem. I told him how dificult it was to get the load just right and most of them are understanding. I also happened to be carrying chains, binders, full tank of fuel which added a few hundred pounds.

We were at a little over 80,000 on the IH tri-axle over the summer and same thing, they let us go. Show respect & courtesy and they will allow you to be a few percent over. Big thing to make sure of is that your rig looks clean, doesn't have any leaks, broken glass/mirrors, etc. Great friend of mine is an MVCE cop and he looks for rigs that look shaky.

BTW: Nice truck. I'm currenty truck shopping for a used platform farm truck w/ snowplow and I ran across a nice Isuzu 4x4 platform 14,000 GVWR diesel.

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #45  
I found this thread through the winch one, but I sell these trucks and if any of y'all have any questions, feel free to message/email me.

/ Got a tractor hauler (finally) #46  
I hear you.
Like most diesel powered vehicles, the engines hang around a lot longer than other (expensive) parts. My concern was the expense of keeping the rollback hydraulics working and the cost of liability insurance for a truck like a rollback in a higher weight class.

BTW: I took that NPR through the scale at the Petro truck stop this afternoon----7140 lb unloaded with 3/4 tank of gas and myself. So with 12000 lb GVWR on that NPR, I have about 4800 lb of payload to play around with. Deduct about 250 lb for aluminum ramps, 500 lb for steel diamond plate decking (two 2'x14'x3/16" pieces) to spread the wheel loads on the pine decking and maybe 150 lb for an aluminum underdeck storage box (18"x18"x36") plus contents--leaving 3900lb for the tractor. So far I have a Farmall Cub (1900 lb), Farmall Super A (2400 lb), Minneapolis Moline BF (2900 lb) and an MF135 (3600 lb). Still looking for an Oliver 66 (3200 lb), Allis Chalmers B (2100 lb), JD 40 (2900 lb) and a Ford 961 (3300 lb).

I think there is an Allis Chalmers B at our dealership and owner is selling it. What I was told, at least. As far as I can tell, it has been redone.