Got wood?

/ Got wood? #1  

fatjay

Veteran Member
Tractor
Not enough
I'm not sure about the mid or west, but here on the east coast, prices of lumber have gone insane. An $11 sheet of 1/2" plywood now costs $40. a 10' PT 4x4 is $33. And not only that, the racks are bare, completely picked over aside from the oddest sizes, and even those are starting to thin.

A buddy of mine works in lumber distribution. He said he'd get 3-4 rail cars from canada a week, and they'd deliver to the east coast. However, he says they're getting one every other week at this point, no OSB, no particle board, no pressure treated, and only limited supply of others. The mills he talks to up in canada are half shut down, the others are partially opperating because they're just not getting anything from the loggers.

Other parts experiencing the same issues? Is there an end in sight?

/ Got wood? #2  
Our local HD has many empty racks of various plywood, PT joists/beams. And the prices are crazy high!

/ Got wood? #3  
I was going to build a carport type shed for storing stuff out of the rain and snow until I saw the prices on posts and lumber.

By buddy and I are looking at buying a portable bandsaw mill.

/ Got wood? #4  
And I’m right in the middle of building my house and garage. Again, the folks building spec or under contract are gonna get burned, just like me.

Funny, the road I live on is named Torchwood. Between my tree farm and all the gold plated lumber left over, I’m thinking, maybe I should. Torchwood!

I’m curious what the insurance payout would be, considering lumber has tripled?

/ Got wood? #5  
We're on the cutting end and studwood grade spruce is selling quite well. Prices have got to break though, the economy can't sustain these prices. If prices don't break they will either find something different for building materials, or people will go back to living in caves. Real estate is also crazy up here, everybody wants to get away from the population centers. Part of my retirement plan was to have a remote camp on the water; the way prices have escalated that isn't going to happen. Those lots have gone up 25% in the last few months... and are selling as fast as they go on the market. Furthermore, when the bubble breaks the demand for building products is going to head in the other direction (remember 2008?) so I may be taking early retirement. My 401k won't like that.

/ Got wood? #7  
The prices on aluminum covers are going up too. I suspect because of lumber prices. A 30x30 open end/half side was $10k in early spring. Now they're $15k. Just in time for the last hay. :rolleyes: Looks like I'll be stretching a few tarps between trees now. :cool: Who can afford wood posts? :eek:

How are the builders getting lumber? There's a new high-end subdivision going in down the road about three miles close to town. There's about six new 2400+sq.ft. homes (the minimum) that went in there over the summer. I did notice the construction has slowed or paused. Perhaps the builders can't get lumber anymore.

/ Got wood? #8  
I had plans to add on to my carport. NOT at these prices. I can wait.

/ Got wood? #9  
I mostly dodged the bullet on my shop build this summer. I bought my lumber and trusses in June, RIGHT before the bottom dropped out. I had to BEG the guy to deliver my trusses on time and he had to pull some strings to get them done. If I would have waited another couple of weeks I would have been screwed. The only thing they tagged me on was the roof sheathing. I bought it about a month after the rest of my lumber and it had gone up about $7/ sheet by that point.

I have plans on adding a 10x 27 shed roof off one side. Luckily I have most of the wood I need and what I don't I will have my buddy cut on his mill.

I really feel for people in the midst of a big project or with plans to start shortly. This is the last thing the housing market in the US needs right now. It is already out of control, putting the dream of home ownership WAY out of reach for a HUGE portion of our population. Kinda sad.

/ Got wood? #10  
I mostly dodged the bullet on my shop build this summer. I bought my lumber and trusses in June, RIGHT before the bottom dropped out. I had to BEG the guy to deliver my trusses on time and he had to pull some strings to get them done. If I would have waited another couple of weeks I would have been screwed. The only thing they tagged me on was the roof sheathing. I bought it about a month after the rest of my lumber and it had gone up about $7/ sheet by that point.

I have plans on adding a 10x 27 shed roof off one side. Luckily I have most of the wood I need and what I don't I will have my buddy cut on his mill.

I really feel for people in the midst of a big project or with plans to start shortly. This is the last thing the housing market in the US needs right now. It is already out of control, putting the dream of home ownership WAY out of reach for a HUGE portion of our population. Kinda sad.

That sounds exactly like what happened to us this summer. We put a 24x24 addition on the back or our 24x22 garage. 1/2" osb was $17 a sheet in end of July, I believe. I was short 1 sheet in August and it was $23 a sheet.

Shingles were another thing.... many styles and colors were out of stock with no estimated time of availability.

Vinyl siding that was advertised as in-stock was no longer in-stock. Again, many were indefinitely delayed with no E.T.A. Fortunately, we found one we liked and was close to color, so we ordered it. 4-5 week wait. Should be here next week. Manager was gonna check on it Monday and call me.....today's Friday buddy. Still no ringy ding ding. :rolleyes: