Grader/Scraper Build

/ Grader/Scraper Build #11  
Following your progress!!!

That shop definitely needs some projects going on. Way to clean!!! :)

/ Grader/Scraper Build
Very nice work !! Keep the pics coming. Just for reference mine has two blades and weighs about 650 lbs. It is 5' wide and I pull it with a 30 hp 4WD L3010. When it is running near full it is all my tractor wants. With a single blade I could go wider. You will like the job it does .....

View attachment 644844

gg

Thanks for the info Gordon, I think I am going to cut the ends off so there are only 4 tines instead of 6, cut it down to around 80" wide. I will only have one cutting blade to start, but will have a second angle iron for the ability to add one later. I also have a hydraulic top link so that will help fine tune it. My tractor is 34hp.

Last edited:
   / Grader/Scraper Build
Following your progress!!!

That shop definitely needs some projects going on. Way to clean!!! :)

Only 2 years old, built the entire thing myself 30'x60' steel, I love it clean! :thumbsup:

/ Grader/Scraper Build #14  
Only 2 years old, built the entire thing myself 30'x60' steel, I love it clean! :thumbsup:

I am the same way, I like a clean shop too.

My method is to work until I cannot find a tool that I need, typically every 2-3 hours. If I cannot put my hand immediately on a tool, I stop, then put everything back, and then start again.

It only takes a few minutes, but it saves me tons of time in trying to find tools. My enjoyment comes from the project itself, and NOT hunting for tools. A place for everything, and everything in its place!

/ Grader/Scraper Build #15  
As for a grader, I built a homemade one as well.

I plan to make a much, much better one soon. I say that because for all my life I have used a tractor to plow snow, and just this year realized I was doing it backwards. That was because this year I used my homemade grader to plow snow out of my driveway and logging roads, and it cut my plowing time to less then half. I could easily shave more time off if my grader blade was wider, and more purpose built.

There is nothing like putting the tractor in 7th gear (out of 8) and watching the snow just roll off the moldboard. I have to put my tractor in the snow before plowing it, but we do not get big snowstorms like we used to. Up to about a foot of snow, the grader blade works better and faster.

Now that I am using my grader blade both summer and winter though, it means I can fabricate one from the ground up and justify the cost and time to build it.

DSCN5127.JPG

DSCN5126.JPG

/ Grader/Scraper Build #16  
I am the same way, I like a clean shop too.

My method is to work until I cannot find a tool that I need, typically every 2-3 hours. If I cannot put my hand immediately on a tool, I stop, then put everything back, and then start again.

It only takes a few minutes, but it saves me tons of time in trying to find tools. My enjoyment comes from the project itself, and NOT hunting for tools. A place for everything, and everything in its place!

You need a tool cart.

/ Grader/Scraper Build
My gut feel after looking at the start of the tine bar and posting here that 8 foot is just too big for my tractor.

Go big or go home... well, I am already home! So there!

I cut a foot off each end to make her 6 ft.

13.JPG

Looks much more manageable for my little Agco ST34 now. :thumbsup:

14.JPG

Laid out the side plate attachment locations

15.JPG

Tacked up the side plates temporarily to give the ability to mock up the blade installation and support cross members.

Plan is to attach the cutting blade inside the side plate in a bolted adjustable configuration (ability to raise and lower the cutting blade level)
I will need to drill mounting holes in the side plates to bolt the blade configuration, when I get that measured and welded up I will then cut the side plate tacks, remove them and drill the blade mounts.

16.JPG

18.JPG

/ Grader/Scraper Build #18  
Looking great so far! I think you made the right decision to cut it down to 6 ft.

/ Grader/Scraper Build #19  
Looking good!!!

I would suggest that your runners be placed so the front "turn up" goes all the way up to the top of the angle cut on your side plates. You need enough "ramp" to lift the blade over an obstacle rather than it trying to cut in.

/ Grader/Scraper Build
Looking good!!!

I would suggest that your runners be placed so the front "turn up" goes all the way up to the top of the angle cut on your side plates. You need enough "ramp" to lift the blade over an obstacle rather than it trying to cut in.

Richard, thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, that is the original plan, the runners are just tack welded in place to give me the correct height to mount the cutting blade. I plan to wrap both sides around with that 1/4" strap.