Grapple decisions....

/ Grapple decisions.... #11  
Last edited:
   / Grapple decisions....
Thanks for all the info and tips. The CK3510SE comes with the third function valve and the grill guard. I will definitely look at adding the mesh to the guard. My plan is to use it to move felled trees, piles of railroad ties and lots of brush. I will occasionally need to dig up stumps and rocks. I also have a few places where trash has been dumped, lots of misc items, plastic pallets, car parts, concrete, bricks, cement blocks, etc... All this was left behind from previous owners. I am leaning toward the root grapple after watching more videos as the wider spacing of the tines seems to be a better all around tool. Is that a correct assumption?

My local dealer has Tiger Attachments grapples. Has anyone had experience with that brand? Cannot find a lot of information about them online.

Last edited:
   / Grapple decisions.... #13  
Josh - that's one item where you should have a whole lot of choices - grapples. My grapple & 3rd function valve were installed by the Kubota dealer. I was planning on an ANBO grapple ( company is 70 miles north of me in Colville, WA) but I got a good deal from the Kubota dealer. The tine spacing on mine is 6". If I come straight down - jaws wide open - push down hard - close jaws - I will come up with a huge pile of dirt and not loose much thru the 6" spacing.

People will spend an inordinate amount of time discussing tine spacing. About the only time I would say that tine spacing was critical - moving gravel - and there a grapple falls on its face. Unless you are talking about some unusual design or like the 8900 pound grapple I saw while visiting ANBO - most spacing is - 6" or 9" or 12".

ANBO is unique. They have a whole battery of standard grapples and then they will work with you to design just about anything your little heart desires. As long as it follows acceptable engineering principles and procedures.

I choose the rock & root style because I don't have even a wheelbarrow load of brush on my property. Its all large pine logs, big rocks and back dragging. Rock & root or clam shell tends to have shorter, stouter tines. And at least with the Land Pride - it has significantly more bracing and cross bracing then their "brush grapples".

The costs involved in mine - WR Long 3rd function valve - $1200 installed Land Price SGC 1560 - $3175 installed. This is a very heavy duty grapple - thick, short, heavy tines and welded cross bracing everywhere. Weight - 820 pounds. The weight of the grapple cuts my FEL lifting capacity down to a tad over 3200 pounds.

Tractor NH - that's a nice job. Your expanded metal is a heavier gauge than mine. And theKKfan - I have NO idea what gauge or calibre my expanded metal is - - maybe Tractor NH know what he used.

I read a few posts here on TBN where guys had perforated radiators, grills and batteries with limbs, stobs and trash. That mesh was done immediately after the tractor returned with the installed grapple.

/ Grapple decisions.... #14  
This is a very heavy duty grapple - thick, short, heavy tines and welded cross bracing everywhere. Weight - 820 pounds. The weight of the grapple cuts my FEL lifting capacity down to a tad over 3200 pounds.

Your M6040 will lift over 4,000 pounds?

I don't think our M6-141 would lift that much.
Travis

20180725_150322es.jpg

/ Grapple decisions.... #15  
Those of you who use expanded metal over your brush guard: Do you ever wish you had not welded it on? I'm debating whether it is worth the trouble to make mine a pin-on frame, rather than welding it on.

/ Grapple decisions.... #16  
Well - lets see. I will once again check the power lift charts for my LA1153 FEL. OK - it says:

1) at a distance of 500mm( ~20") off the ground
2) at a point 400mm( ~16" ) forward of the pivot pins - a point 4" forward of the very back of the grapple jaws when open half way
3) this FEL/grapple is rated to lift 1950 Kg ( ~ 4300 pounds)

Now - using my math skills - - 4300 pounds minus the grapple weight of 820 pounds equals approximately - - 3480 pounds.

I have absolutely no idea nor interest in what a M6-141 will lift. The figures above come directly from my Kubota Front Loader Operators Manual for Model LA1153 - page 8 - - power lift chart.

Travis - check your published loader charts in the FEL Op Manual. You have one chart for when the FEL is set for max lift and another for when the FEL is set for max height. My FEL is set for max lift capacity.

Where most folks get confused - - Kubota posts lift ratings for their FELs at a point 800mm( ~ 32 ") forward of the pivot pins. That is way out at the very lip of a bucket - if that's what you have on your FEL.

The very back of the mouth of my grapple jaws is only 12" forward of the FEL pivot pins. Thats why I use a calculated figure of 16" forward of the pivot pins. Thats a point 4" forward of the very back of the jaws of the grapple.

All my noodling and calculations can't be that far off. I have several times lifted a fresh cut green Ponderosa pine log - ten feet long, ave 36" in diameter with a calculated weight of 3200 pounds. Granted, I only lift it so the grapple is about 6" off the ground - but at that weight - - thats more than sufficient.

Last edited:
   / Grapple decisions.... #17  
John_Mc - - No, I'm VERY glad its welded on. Limbs & associated crap can hit that grill guard and expanded mesh pretty hard. I don't know if a pin on system would stand up to the abuse.

/ Grapple decisions.... #18  
Well - lets see. I will once again check the power lift charts for my LA1153 FEL. OK - it says:

1) at a distance of 500mm( ~20") off the ground
2) at a point 400mm( ~16" ) forward of the pivot pins - a point 4" forward of the very back of the grapple jaws when open half way
3) this FEL/grapple is rated to lift 1950 Kg ( ~ 4300 pounds)

Now - using my math skills - - 4300 pounds minus the grapple weight of 820 pounds equals approximately - - 3480 pounds.

I have absolutely no idea nor interest in what a M6-141 will lift. The figures above come directly from my Kubota Front Loader Operators Manual for Model LA1153 - page 8 - - power lift chart.

Travis - check your published loader charts in the FEL Op Manual. You have one chart for when the FEL is set for max lift and another for when the FEL is set for max height. My FEL is set for max lift capacity.

Where most folks get confused - - Kubota posts lift ratings for their FELs at a point 800mm( ~ 32 ") forward of the pivot pins. That is way out at the very lip of a bucket - if that's what you have on your FEL.

The very back of the mouth of my grapple jaws is only 12" forward of the FEL pivot pins. Thats why I use a calculated figure of 16" forward of the pivot pins. Thats a point 4" forward of the very back of the jaws of the grapple.

All my noodling and calculations can't be that far off. I have several times lifted a fresh cut green Ponderosa pine log - ten feet long, ave 36" in diameter with a calculated weight of 3200 pounds. Granted, I only lift it so the grapple is about 6" off the ground - but at that weight - - thats more than sufficient.

That math seems fuzzy..... Is this your loader or a different one? Numbers look almost identical to my KL6010.

loader.png

/ Grapple decisions.... #19  
theKKfan - this is the current FEL on my M6040 and the info directly out of the Op Manual for that FEL.

I do not know how to answer you - if you can not follow the math - - ??

No matter how anybody looks at it - - - 4300 minus 820 will ALWAYS EQUAL - 3480. At least on this world.

The power lift charts for my FEL are simple charts - easy to read and interpret.

The ability to lift heavy loads with my FEL follows right along with what the charts say it should lift. A fresh - just cut - ten foot chunk of Ponderosa pine with the butts averaging 36" will always weigh right around 3200 pounds.

I'm very happy with the way the system works - - that's what counts for me.

OK - KKfan - look at the data you posted. It says 2928 pounds max when in the heavy lift setting and at MAX HEIGHT... I COULD NOT CARE LESS what the FEL will lift at MAX HEIGHT.

If you will re read my previous post - #16 - you will see I am using a height of 500mm( 20") off the ground. Big difference there fella........

Last edited:
   / Grapple decisions.... #20  
I'm glad it delivers for ya, oosik. :thumbsup:
I am now even more curious as to what the M6 manual states.
It would really make these tractors look more attractive and alter some shopper's tractor choices if those numbers were published in the brochures, but the reasons not to must be more important.

Two excellent points you made...

1. It is what everyone quotes, but lift to max height isn't that important in most cases.

The claimed lift capacity of this Kubota B2920's loader is 661 pounds to max height(at 500mm beyond pivot pins).
BUT, when you outfit it with an 200 pound, Ultra Light Wicked 55 grapple and keep the load low, seemingly impossible, impressive feats like this can be real.

KubotaB29205.jpg

2. The difference in lift at the pivot pins and 500mm(~20 inches) in front of the pivot pins. Meet the Center of Gravity.

This is something else which many do not take into account when choosing a grapple or pallet forks.
Since I used the B2920 as an example, it's rated capacity at 20" beyond the pins now grows to 952 pounds at the pins.
This doesn't necessarily mean that a 1000 pound rated loader and pallet forks with 48" tines will lift a 1,000 pound pallet of blocks off(or onto) a flatbed.

Keeping the load close is very important if you want to maximize the loader's lift capacity. It's one more reason our rake style Wicked 55 makes these seemingly impossible feats possible.

John Deere 1025R

JD1025R5ee.jpg

Mahindra Max

MahindraMax26.jpg

Kubota L2501

KubotaL2501rochleaus.jpg

Picking out the best grapple includes many important factors beyond the ones mentioned above.
We have it figured out and can assist you guys with choosing the perfect grapple for your machine and application(s).

You don't have to understand the big picture, but it helps.
Travis

WickedHelps.jpg

Last edited: