Grapple decisions....

/ Grapple decisions.... #1  

joshua5438

Tractor
Looking to buy
I am about to purchase a Kioti CK3510SE and wanting to also purchase a grapple. I have read tons of info on them but trying to decide if one is better than the other when it comes to brush grapple versus rock grapple? It seems the bucket with the tines spaced closer together would be ideal for sorting rock but does it become an issue with working with brush and logs? Just looking for personal experience and opinions.

/ Grapple decisions.... #2  
Make sure you get the 3rd function kit installed on the tractor by the dealer if possible. If you want the best quality/value proposition EA ((Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure)) make high quality, lightweight grapples. They should be on your list to evaluate. I recommend trying to get one that is around the same width as your tractor (mine is a few inches less, I like it). Consider the weight of the grapple and what you need to lift with the FEL. Remember the grapple's weight counts against the weight your FEL can lift.
The best answer is to get the strongest, lightest grapple you can for the tasks you have. Looks like your FEL model is KL4020, so 1930# at max height is your limit. Just subtract the weight of the grapple from that and you will have your final weight the FEL can lift. It can lift more the closer you are to the ground.

I went with the brush grapple. I was afraid of bending the longer bottom fork tines with my machine (at least the Landpride options available). Now with EA, you are going to have to wait a few months, as their manufacturing is backed up. There are other options (check out Titan) that are much cheaper but I will leave it to others to comment on their experience with those options.

I am pretty sure you will be able to pick up anything you want with it, no matter the configuration. It just takes some getting used to. Some have the dual top lids, so if you have an uneven load it can still get both sides. I went with 1 top lid. As long as you are square and not torquing a closed grapple it will be hard to mess up. Great video from EA on what not to do with a grapple. Ted and those folks also have a number of great videos on different grapples. Pick the ones where they are actually using them (not just showing features) so you get a feel for what works and what doesn't.

/ Grapple decisions.... #3  
Can't help you much on this one.
I have one with 9, 18 inch spears on a 6 foot grapple with a 1 piece top clamp.
My son has one with 7, 11 inch curved tips on a 5 foot grapple with a two piece top clamp.
I like mine better, he likes his better. I do like the two piece top better.

/ Grapple decisions.... #4  
What do you plan to use it for? That’s a key question. I use mine mainly for cleaning up chain saw debris (fallen trees, collecting cut off limbs or saplings), clearing land by pushing down trees (max 6 or 8”), uprooting the root ball, and making piles. I can also dig a little with it, grab and move big rocks, even scratch up the ground to prepare a rough seed bed. For those purposes, I consider mine ideal. IMG_0746.JPGIMG_0672.JPG

/ Grapple decisions.... #5  
I have an EA dual lid 72" with the long tines. I agree with your statement that the tines spaced closely together would get clogged with debris if you're doing anything other than sorting rock. I looked at at least 6 different grapple manufacturers before I decided on the EA. All of them were heavier, the Titan I believe was almost 300 lbs heavier. One thing that drove me away from the Titan was the lack of customer support for replacement parts after the sale. I saw a posting (I believe it was on TBN) where someone needed a replacement cylinder. Titan wouldn't sell them one and they were an odd size not easy to find.

The EA is absolutely top notch, USA built, and their customer service is amazing too. Delivery times have been 2 months or less since they opened their expanded factory.

/ Grapple decisions.... #6  
I bought my Land Pride grapple (SGC 1560) & WR Long third function valve five years ago. Had the dealer install it.

The SGC 1560 is called a rock & root grapple. Short thick tough tines. I have absolutely no brush to worry about on my 80 acres. I use it to move LARGE chunks of pine log, BIG rocks, back grading to level and smooth and limb cleanup for dead trees I fall. I've used it for everything - including pushing snow banks. Never given me a moments problems and about the only "damage" to the grapple - I've knocked some of the powdercoat paint off the tips of the tines.View attachment 577882View attachment 577883

Last edited:
   / Grapple decisions.... #7  
I also have a two piece top. With logs that will vary, both side may not close together. I have a 72" titan and love it. It was what I could get at the time and have used it a lot with no problems. I do have the WR Long 3rd function installed by the dealer. It looks and works good.
I do believe that the EA dual lid may be a better grapple, but I could not get one in the time frame that I wanted it. My tractor handles the weight with no problems and I pick up some really large logs.

/ Grapple decisions.... #8  
Joshua - there is one other item that I would bring to your attention. Since you will be getting a grapple - - be sure you get an OEM grill guard. Then if your OEM guard is like mine was - guaranteed to stop 40 gallon garbage cans and larger objects - its a good idea to modify the guard. I used expanded metal.

New tractor grills or radiators or batteries ARE expensive. When you work with brush, limbs, trash - - good likelihood that "something" will find one or more of the previously mentioned items. Mine is expanded metal - welded onto the OEM guard.

View attachment 577946View attachment 577947

/ Grapple decisions.... #9  
EA makes one of the best lightweight grapples on the market. Others out there are good too. It boils down to how much you want to spend. Higher quality units use better steel that is less resistant to bending but you pay more.

I opted for a low cost 72" dual lid unit made by American Attachments. It uses mild steel and is lightweight,. At 72" and dual lids it does what I need. If put into extreme use it would not hold up. The price was very attractive.

For my use I prefer a longer tined bottom unit versus the clam shell type.

Keep us posted on your progress. The front 3rd function kit is expensive. You could save a little in labor if you do it yourself. You could opt to run the grapple from your rear remotes. Not the best solution but a cost effective one.

/ Grapple decisions.... #10  
Joshua - there is one other item that I would bring to your attention. Since you will be getting a grapple - - be sure you get an OEM grill guard. Then if your OEM guard is like mine was - guaranteed to stop 40 gallon garbage cans and larger objects - its a good idea to modify the guard. I used expanded metal.

New tractor grills or radiators or batteries ARE expensive. When you work with brush, limbs, trash - - good likelihood that "something" will find one or more of the previously mentioned items. Mine is expanded metal - welded onto the OEM guard.

View attachment 577946View attachment 577947

oosik, I stole your idea and modified my grill guard too. I used the OEM grill guard on mine as well. This is a mod best done BEFORE you have to replace a grille.

Guard-1.jpg Guard-2.jpg Guard-3.jpg Guard-4.jpg