Grapple ideas and how are these companies?

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #11  
I have used a flat bottom dual lid grapple like the kind eddiewalker posted and i liked it a lot. I do think most of the grapple work id ever want to do would be doable with that style of bucket bottom with almost no endwalls. I understand a lot of people want to do raking but for me personally I feel like id actually be ok with some raking tines on the heel of the flat bottom bucket. I havent seen one like that but i think it would work for me.

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #12  
I've got 40+ years of experience with tractors and implements out here. What I wanted - and needed - was the strongest grapple that would function on my Kubota M6040. I've had a couple lesser implements and they simply did not stand up well in normal use.

I have the Land Pride SGC1560 rock and root grapple. 820# of AR400 steel. It's paired with the WR Long third function valve. This combination has worked very well for me for ten plus years.

I'm certain there are other brands that would function just as well. My concern on those - they do not have a local dealer. Parts acquisition or repair by phone or email can be somewhat lacking. I want eyball to eyball contact and am willing to pay for it.

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #13  
Pay attention to experience, real world feedback, and details. With many years of grapple using, selling, and building experience, our website currently features 1720 combined Wicked Grapple reviews, and 734 of those is for the Legendary Wicked 55, which was the best right out of the gate, but has only been improved over the years.

There are imposters out there, and they come and go. It doesn't take a long search to find shortcomings in their designs and customer relations. EA Customers are Family, and we furnish them with the very best. They are taken very good care of.

Concerning strength. We know Wicked is ready.. Or, I should say WICKEDERRR!
Travis

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #14  
Little things equate to very big things, and EA is all about the little things. Here's a unique feature you'll find on our Wicked 55 and Wicked 60 root rake grapples...

The Wickeder lid, which you may hear mentioned in conversation on social media, has a serrated horizontal channel spanning entirely across the leading portion of the lid, which greatly increases the lid's ability to rake loose material into a pile, or groom and smooth soil for seeding. Raking backwards, even if it is loose material, is something that most other manufacturers do not recommend, which totally defeats a valuable feature in which a true root rake grapple is designed for. WICKED is a TRUE root rake grapple.
Travis

IMG_20220601_130115_136s.jpg

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #15  
This forum is great! I was leaning towards a QA product (below) and got several recommendations on other products. I am leaning toward Homestead or EA for a grapple for my L3901. Any opinions on these products below? Any recommendations on other brands? Mostly for limb and log ( 25"dbh oak) clean up. These are all claw grapples. Thanks for the help. View attachment 771746

For clarification, Wicked 55 *lid* is 51" wide. The grapple is 55".

Out of curiosity, where are you from?
Travis

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #16  
Pay attention to experience, real world feedback, and details. With many years of grapple using, selling, and building experience, our website currently features 1720 combined Wicked Grapple reviews, and 734 of those is for the Legendary Wicked 55, which was the best right out of the gate, but has only been improved over the years.

There are imposters out there, and they come and go. It doesn't take a long search to find shortcomings in their designs and customer relations. EA Customers are Family, and we furnish them with the very best. They are taken very good care of.

Concerning strength. We know Wicked is ready.. Or, I should say WICKEDERRR!
Travis

Travis - any plans for a forestry grapple in your future?

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #17  
I have a tomahawlk brand grapple. It's really more of a skid steer weight grapple but with my 2,000lb lift capacity 100lbs more really dosnt matter. I believe it was about $2k last time I checked.
I have a tomahawk too. 66" single lid, 415lbs I think. Use it on my MX.

I dont think steel thickness matters as much as how its gusseted. Even 1/2" tines, if ungusseted, are pretty easy to bend if they are more than a few inches long.

I use mine on a MX so wasnt worried that it was 50-60 pounds more than some others. IT was only like $1200 or something like that a few years ago (pre covidflation)

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies?
I agree.

If as the OP stated, this is mainly for moving logs and limbs, a forestry grapple such as the Frostbite is a great way to go: There is not much out there better for handling logs, it's much lighter weight than other styles of grapples (so you save more of your lift capacity for lifting logs), and the narrow profile is great for maneuvering in the woods.

If you are working in more open spaces and/or need the ability to lift smaller items, then other styles might make more sense.

In addition to the Frostbite, the Sundown GR40 and the Igland GR20 are similar styles.
Thanks. I wasn't considering that...now I am. Also looking at a dual lid design with longer tines on the bottom. I have lesser of a need to rake the ground as I have a heavy duty box blade with sacrifices I think could manage the roots if I took the backhoe off.

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #19  
@smokin joe - where are you located? If you get a chance, fill out your profile. Knowing your location helps others customize their recommendations to your area. You also may hear form someone in your area who already has the type of equipment you are considering, so you can make arrangements to see it in use.

/ Grapple ideas and how are these companies? #20  
Also looking at a dual lid design with longer tines on the bottom.
I have had both basic styles and that is the best style for my uses here in central Oklahoma.

I can rake with the lids:

P6020025.JPG
P6020026.JPG
P6020029.JPG
P6020031.JPG
P6020032.JPG