Grapple project

/ Grapple project #11  
Looks awesome! If you don't mind me asking how much money you have in it? I'm in the grapple market and have considered making one.

I'd be interested, as well. Around here, a similar grapple can be had for around a grand.

/ Grapple project
ProjectKing, glad you like it. I'm happy with how it looks but the proof is in the pudding! I would say that for everything I had to buy including the plasma cutting I'm right at $500. If I had done the cutting myself with my torches I would have saved some money but I'd probably still be grinding and the pieces never would have been as consistent. So paying for having the components burned out was well worth it from a labor standpoint and ease of assembly. This $500 includes the cylinder (which I scored for $50 on line) and thehoses and quick connections. It's been a really fun project and I would do it again. Hope this helps with your decision. Andy

/ Grapple project #13  
ProjectKing, glad you like it. I'm happy with how it looks but the proof is in the pudding! I would say that for everything I had to buy including the plasma cutting I'm right at $500. If I had done the cutting myself with my torches I would have saved some money but I'd probably still be grinding and the pieces never would have been as consistent. So paying for having the components burned out was well worth it from a labor standpoint and ease of assembly. This $500 includes the cylinder (which I scored for $50 on line) and thehoses and quick connections. It's been a really fun project and I would do it again. Hope this helps with your decision. Andy

Great info!! Thank you! What steel did you use? Yes using a CNC plasma, water jet or laser is the way to go!

/ Grapple project
ProjectKing, I used just plain old A36 plate for the upper and lower tines, hinge brackets, and gusset plates. Lower tines are 1/2" thick and uppers are 3/8's". Gussets are 5/16's". The frame is 2 1/2" square 1/4 wall and the pipe stiffeners are 1" schedule 80 structural. I though about using A572 grade 50 for the tines but honestly I don't think the extra cost is worth it. I know I could make things lighter by going to a higher grade steel but no one around here stocks it and I don't plan on beating the thing to death. To me it seems unlikely that I will be able to fill the thing enough in practice to have a lifting capacity issue. And there is actually a benefit of using regular A36 in that if you push it too far it will bend a good bit before it breaks. Some of the other higher strength steels are not as forgiving. As far as wear properties, again for what I intend to use it for which is mostly brush and log clean-up etc, I won't be doing a ton of ground engagement with it so I'm not worried about actually wearing it out. Hope this helps. Might not be what is right for everyone but I think it makes sense for what I was looking for.

/ Grapple project
Well it's done and loaded in my truck. My front remote is not done yet so taking it to a friends place to test it out. Hopefully next photo will be with something clamped up in it! IMG_1303.JPGIMG_1305.JPG

/ Grapple project #16  
Looks really well done, great job! I need to find a friend with a plasma table :)

/ Grapple project
Davidj1 thanks. I should clarify that the plasma cutting was done at a friend's shop. Not for free since he is in business doing both fabrication and machining. I'm sure I got the friends and family discount �� But regardless on a project like this where you have to make several pieces more or less the same, I would highly recommend having them either plasma cut or water jet cut. It makes the fit up and assembly so much easier. Plus once you create the drawings it would be easier to make another one if you ever wanted one. After I try it out I'll clean it up and paint it. I'd also like to get a weight on it so I'll run it over the scale at the gravel pit. Wish me luck on the shakedown��

/ Grapple project
Well I finally got to test it! Worked well picking up logs and firewood chunks. I don't have the hydraulics done on my tractor yet so I hooked it to my buddy's Kubota. I'm working on getting my remote hooked up. Attached pic of the bracket I fabbed up and the valve placement. Now I just have to plumb everything up. Need to stop at the dealer to make sure I have the connections properly identified on the tractor.

Attachments

• IMG_1330.JPG
    IMG_1330.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 328
  • IMG_1332.JPG
    IMG_1332.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 247
  • IMG_1334.JPG
    IMG_1334.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 223
   / Grapple project #19  
Looks great!!

/ Grapple project #20  
That thing is a beast. looks awesome and great craftsmanship. I am hoping to builds one this winter when/if things slow down. I can't wait. I love all the DIY builds.