Grapple Recommendations

/ Grapple Recommendations #1  

ishiboo

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010HSTC, Cat 279c
I am looking for a grapple for my Kioti RX7320, which is rated for 3300lbs lift at the pins to full height. I am primarily looking to move logs that tree services drop off, but would also like to do it for some mild clearing, occasional concrete chunk pickup, larger rock piles, etc. I am relatively "easy" on my equipment so I don't need the absolute strongest stuff, but I would like to not have to worry about it with my usage. I am cost sensitive as this will be an infrequently used attachment. I am picking them up now with forks on both the Kioti and 1025R and it's a pain in the butt when they are not all lined up in the same direction... a grapple will be a huge improvement.

I'm considering the following:

I know EA would be the suggestion of many, but I do not see any lighter duty 84" grapples... just the one for up to 125HP.

The rock one would be great as it allows the ability to sift rocks - I miss my rock bucket from my smaller tractor - but the tines also look fairly thin and it seems like they'd be able to be damaged sifting through rocks which defeats the purpose. I am not interested in rock bucket/grapple combos that have raised sides, as it would make it a lot worse to pick up bundles of logs. Anything else I should consider? Any other suggestions? I realize others have bad experiences with Titan. I have purchased several sets of forks over the years as well as other attachments and have had an overall good experience. That, the fact it's in stock, looks fairly heavy duty (though only regular A36), and my credit card company will take care of my if they screw up makes me lean towards the Titan.

/ Grapple Recommendations #2  
I have a Land Pride SGC1560 grapple on my Kubota M6040. Also the WR Long 3rd function valving. All was installed by my Kubota dealer. It's neither light nor cheap. Sadly - I found that light and cheap implements die quickly. And I'm very careful with my implements.

I only mention all of this because Land Pride and WR Long have been excellent - in my experience.

I move BIG rocks and LARGE chunks of pine tree trunks. I use what I call - "the knuckle dragging" technique. Loads are kept VERY low when lifted and moved. So low that most times the lower portion of the grapple will leave drag marks in the dirt.

You should also consider mods to your grill guard - my second picture.

IMG_0011.jpeg
IMG_0016.jpeg

/ Grapple Recommendations #3  
I didn't find it easy to find the weight or material thicknesses of any brands.

When I found the weight, I divided it by the number of teeth to try and compare when online shopping. I know upper and lower have different thicknesses but could at least weed out the ones that were too weak or needlessly heavy.

/ Grapple Recommendations #4  
Root Cause - specs on many implements are like hen's teeth. Another easy comparison - divide the weight by the width. I bought the Land Pride because it is a root and rock grapple AND is sold by the local Kubota dealer.

At 820# - yes, it is heavy. This model is made for a skid steer. I've had it for nine years now. Only damage - loss of paint on some of the tines. However - I'm still able to lift 3000+ pounds and move CAREFULLY.

How much you will be able to lift - keep it low and you will lift a lot more than indicated in their normal specs. Look at the weight lift charts for your FEL. You could be pleasently surprised.

/ Grapple Recommendations #5  
I have the Titan grapple on my LS. Very happy with it-it doesn’t use the same grade of steel as the EA ( or other pricier brands) and is, as a result, heavier-which does impact lift capacity but has not limited my usage thus far.

I suspect you’ll be satisfied with the Titan product in your listed applications.

/ Grapple Recommendations #7  
Root Cause - specs on many implements are like hen's teeth. Another easy comparison - divide the weight by the width. I bought the Land Pride because it is a root and rock grapple AND is sold by the local Kubota dealer.

At 820# - yes, it is heavy. This model is made for a skid steer. I've had it for nine years now. Only damage - loss of paint on some of the tines. However - I'm still able to lift 3000+ pounds and move CAREFULLY.

How much you will be able to lift - keep it low and you will lift a lot more than indicated in their normal specs. Look at the weight lift charts for your FEL. You could be pleasently surprised.
I agree as long as they have the same number of teeth and it is just a reference point to identify real cheap or real heavy items.
I also agree it is best to buy where you can actually see if possible but that doesn't work for some in today's market.

I wanted a 60" wide grapple due to weight as you described but could only find 48 or 68" locally. I was concerned about the additional weight and bought the 68" but it hasn't been an issue for me. i can still pick up any 10-12' long log I have on property. I do consider myself more lucky than smart.

/ Grapple Recommendations #8  
I am cost sensitive as this will be an infrequently used attachment.
I think you will find once you purchase a grapple you will be using it often. It is a great attachment. I also have land pride grapple. It is light weight and strong but not cheap.

CB678D84-F9A4-4F2A-9C1A-436FF2213809.jpeg

/ Grapple Recommendations #9  
Might also Consider a FAVER Grapple

I am a fan of open tine Grapples, Also trying to maximize the Grapples opening distance if possible like Xfaxman shows in the linked diagram

Attachments

• garage tree stump 002.jpg
    garage tree stump 002.jpg
    917.2 KB · Views: 189

Attachments

• clean tractors 003.JPG
    clean tractors 003.JPG
    310.3 KB · Views: 192

Last edited:
   / Grapple Recommendations #10  
W.R. Long was the one I got through my local dealer. I got the Open Bottom 2. They make a lighter and more heavy duty version if I remember and ALSO will add extra tines when you order if you plan on using it to sift rock that put the spacing right around 3.5"'ish apart. I believe the standard is 8" which isn't great at sifting. It was a couple hundred more, but I wish I had known about it when I ordered. Flat bottom allows you to get into the ground enough for roots and carry stuff. I think EA actually still carries them and it has been flawless so far.