Grid-tied solar

/ Grid-tied solar #471  
Concerning rates, I just checked Hydro Quebec:
Fixed charge per day 40.64 「

First 30 kWh/day 5.41 「/kWh
Remaining energy consumption 7.78 「/kWh

It appears that the highest rate is $0.078/kWh!!! This is incredibly low. Here in Northern California, the lowest rate is $0.11 and ranges up to $0.55, and is sure to go higher, much higher in coming years. The average rate is $0.23/kWh! Thus solar makes sense, big time! My previous average PG&E monthly bill was $330+, now it is $0.00. Those of you who enjoy cheap rates, don't take it for granted.

Last edited:
   / Grid-tied solar #472  
Glad you are enjoying it.

What's up with your power prices? I noticed Jason (Scooby74) saying his power is high too. Do you get supplied from Hydro Quebec?

What's up is horrendous government mis-management.

/ Grid-tied solar
The December, 2013 results.

Below the model this month, and well below last December. This December has been a gloomy one, even by December standards. :)

Month--NREL Model (AC kWh)-----2012 Actual-----2013 Actual

Jan.----388----------------------NA--------------440
Feb.----412----------------------NA--------------375
Mar.----509----------------------NA--------------462
Apr.----374----------------------NA--------------487
May----353----------------------NA--------------375
Jun.----308----------------------NA--------------379
Jul.-----341----------------------NA--------------377
Aug.----383----------------------461-------------470
Sep.----394----------------------481-------------476
Oct.----369----------------------378-------------453
Nov.----283----------------------400-------------414
Dec.----331----------------------297-------------278

/ Grid-tied solar
Advances in organic-based "flow" battery development for grid-scale storage:
Organic mega flow battery promises breakthrough for renewable energy

"Quinones are abundant in crude oil as well as in green plants. The molecule that the Harvard team used in its first quinone-based flow battery is almost identical to one found in rhubarb. The quinones are dissolved in water, which prevents them from catching fire."

/ Grid-tied solar #477  
I've been keenly interested in flow batteries since first hearing of them. The idea of being able to store the power in the electrolyte instead of on the electrodes is appealing. Storage capacity becomes a matter of tank size. Quick recharging can be done with a tanker truck.

/ Grid-tied solar
Getting near the end of the month, so I had to hunt down this thread. :laughing:

Some summary information for the 2013 calendar year.

The system produced 4,987 AC kWh, (13.7 AC kWh per day average).
I took 4,312 AC kWh from the utility.
I sent 3,635 AC kWh to the utility.
My net use for the year was 5,664 AC kWh, (15.5 AC kWh per day average).

The system produced 88% of my total power used. That's more than the ~75% I was guessing at, but I will guess it was probably a pretty good, or above average year for solar.

/ Grid-tied solar #479  
Hey Dave,

I usually look at the output of our 4kW system versus our total electric use in Sept (around the annual anniversary of the array). By Sept of 2013, we made 17,805 kWh of electricity in 3 years. Over that same time period we bought an additional 3028 kWh from our utility. Our system produced an average of 85.5% of our power over the 3 year period.

Frank

/ Grid-tied solar
Hey Dave,

I usually look at the output of our 4kW system versus our total electric use in Sept (around the annual anniversary of the array). By Sept of 2013, we made 17,805 kWh of electricity in 3 years. Over that same time period we bought an additional 3028 kWh from our utility. Our system produced an average of 85.5% of our power over the 3 year period.

Frank

That's pretty good. I don't think I can do that well.

Ours is a 4.2kW system, but the 70 degree (from horizontal) mounting is shaving some performance off. Our best day ever was 30kW last March around the equinox. We've had three 27kW days just lately. We also had a 0.1kW day. :laughing: