Grinder/shredder ideas

/ Grinder/shredder ideas
Thanks you Terry - that is about perfect! I will start watching for one.

/ Grinder/shredder ideas #12  
For a down and dirty redneck shredder/chipper (not sure about mixing*) make a plywood and lumber open top and one ended box wide enough for a regular push mower to roll into and deep enough to hold some material...then proceed as imagined...* could maybe bore and bolt a couple of angle iron tabs on the blade for mixing??...

The first time I saw something like this being done with a lawnmower...it was grinding whole fish into chum...I kid you not...!

/ Grinder/shredder ideas #13  
I bought an old New Holland feed mill for $150.00, it had a PTO driven hammer mill, auger to mixing chamber with off loading auger. Mine came with a number of screens that are used to make various sized material.

My intended use differs from yours, I'll be feeding light gauge insulated copper wire into the hammer mill then running to discharged material over a shaker table to separate the copper granules from the insulation.

I may also process my Black Spruce branches though the hammer mill before loading them into the essential oils distillation unit. Bit I'm thinking the pitch will have a tendency to gum things up.

Hog farmers also used hammer mills which were electric motor powered, I one had a 7.5 hp 220 volt mill.

/ Grinder/shredder ideas #14  
A McKissic TPH-122 would do it. You actually don't need the chipping part. You could get one with hammers only made for a Gravely.

I had one when I had my Gravely. Picture below.

Attachments

• MacKissic for Gravely sm.jpg
    MacKissic for Gravely sm.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 121
   / Grinder/shredder ideas
I will look into that also - thanks RalphVa.
Appreciate the idea!

/ Grinder/shredder ideas #16  
Kemp made one, and there are many out there for sale on Craigslist. A couple buddies of mine who are into vegetable farm marketing use one to shred compost. They are basically a mini hammer mill. They mounted it atop an old corn drag elevator, which would load it right into the loader bucket, saving a lot of manual labor.

I also have one, but it had cross bars with teeth on it, I converted to a shell bean thresher.

Here is a picture of one.

http://www.wfmachines.com/discus/messages/335/149357.jpg

/ Grinder/shredder ideas #17  
Not exactly sure where Putnam Co. is located, but here is a Kemp Shredder North of Wheeling. Kemp Electric Chipper -Shredder

It does have the bars, with shredder teeth like mine.

/ Grinder/shredder ideas
Thanks - would love to find the larger 3pt version of that, the hammer mill idea would work well. Thanks for listing the ad, thinking it is about 4hrs North of me unfortunately but appreciate the effort.

/ Grinder/shredder ideas #19  
PTO grinder/mixer sounds pretty ideal for what you are doing. Just have to find on at auction as they usually do not bring much around here, at least the old ones.

I hammermill about 10 yards of chips per day using a PTO powered hammermill and blower to push the material into a bin about 50 ft away using 6" pvc pipe. You would easily do what you are after with a similar setup.

I use a table set at an angle to load my chips but in your case you could have your compost and soil on the table and then rake that material in the shredder while you toss in chunks of the coco. Use a small screen and you would get a nice mixing action.

IMG_2014.JPG

/ Grinder/shredder ideas
About a year and a half ago they had a larger mixer/grinder in very nice shape at an auction I was at and I want to say it sold for around $150. Basically couldn't get rid of it, even the guy that bought said he was not sure why he was getting it but thought it was "neat." At the time I didn't really know what it was or how it worked (miss that one huh). Wish I knew then what I know now.... LOL