Gripe on Image Sizes

/ Gripe on Image Sizes #21  
I always take photos at the highest resolution my camera can do, which allows for cropping to even small portions of the image and still get good res. Then - into Photoshop, reduce the size to (typically) 1024 wide, and save as .jpg to usually level 3, which is fairly high compression. File size is typically around 150k.

I also hate getting photos on email where the poster sends the whole 10Mb original!
One of the companies that I do warranty for just updated their warranty program to allow upload of pictures to assist warranty claims. Up to 10 pictures of 10 MB each.

/ Gripe on Image Sizes #22  
I also hate getting photos on email where the poster sends the whole 10Mb original!
I had to chat with a fellow at work about doing that from his company iPhone. He was using 8-10GB a month. He wasn’t aware what Original size meant.

/ Gripe on Image Sizes #23  
Personally, I like the high res photos. Especially the nature photos. I like the ability to zoom in on details.

/ Gripe on Image Sizes #24  
In this day and age why not automatically resize all uploads to a decent size right on the server back end. Makes it easier for everyone. Upload an image of a gazillion tetrabytes and it gets saved 1024x768. Easy peezy

/ Gripe on Image Sizes #25  
Stating the obvious here, but I guess it boils down to having an appreciation of the purpose of the image. If it's for casual viewing, then more compression/smaller file size is the way to go. However, if the aim is fine detail so the recipient can do a full page print, (or if the service dept for example needs to see the location and size of a defect/crack in a component) then bigger is better.

/ Gripe on Image Sizes #26  
I typically resize my photos down with Windows Image Resizer, because it compresses them a ton at the same time. But I thought if you uploaded larger files, the site compressed them so the end result was the same for viewers. From what I read, here that is not the case. I just did it to make upload quicker, but it seems like everyone should do it. Since that ain't nevah gonna happen, why doesn't the website automagically do it upon upload?

/ Gripe on Image Sizes #28  
Images are now resized automatically.

20210314_171005.jpg

/ Gripe on Image Sizes #30  
Images are now resized automatically.
--------------------------
Great (y) .

Now if people would rotate their phone to Landscape Mode we would have better pictures to look at. :)