Hauling Sub-Compact.

/ Hauling Sub-Compact. #11  
Perhaps a 1-Ton trailer will be sufficient?
Should the trailer have trailer brakes?
If no trailer brakes, will a 1/2 ton pickup pulling the trailer be sufficient?

Thanks,
Robert

I'm not sure what a 1 ton trailer is, but it doesn't come close to handling its own weight plus the weight of the tractor, does it?

No offense meant here . . . I think you're decision to have it delivered is the prudent thing to do. If you're not at all sure about the trailer needed, the equipment needed, or whether your truck will pull it, you shouldn't be trying to tow anything.

/ Hauling Sub-Compact. #12  
View attachment 711834
I haul my compact tractor with my halfton, I have a 10k trailer with brakes, brake controller and Z71 heavy duty brakes and factory max tow package. Tractor/trailer is 7600# and hauls just fine. Keep speed under 65mph. If you have a trailer without brakes, you'll probably be fine as long as load is less than 3k?
I'm sorry but bumper pulling a 7600# load with a 6k tow is not a good idea, especially without torsion bars. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

/ Hauling Sub-Compact. #13  
Let's all buy dump trucks to tow our tractors with!

If it makes anyone feel better, towing threads go like this on every forum, everywhere. It's normal.

/ Hauling Sub-Compact. #14  
Hold my beer and watch this. :ROFLMAO:

/ Hauling Sub-Compact. #15  
This is a good example of what could happen when towing illegally. Steve very likely got his tractor with the trailer impounded.

/ Hauling Sub-Compact.
Here is the trailer that I hauled a yard of gravel in.
PXL_20210902_234027824.jpg
PXL_20210902_234036929.jpg
PXL_20210902_234126030.MP.jpg

/ Hauling Sub-Compact. #18  
Nevermind the liability, etc. . . . What does a yard of gravel cost? Maybe $75?

Is this the trailer you're asking about and considering hauling your tractor on?

Maybe you should put a hitch ball on your tractor drawbar and just drive it home pulling the trailer.

:cool:

/ Hauling Sub-Compact. #19  
The weight of gravel is closer to 3K than 2K, depends on the aggregate size and the amount of water on it. Smaller the aggregate the greater the weight and the more water it can contain.

I tried hauling my BX on a 16" equipment trailer with a Dakota pickup. I rapidly determined I had the tail wagging the dog. Found a real deal on a used Dodge 1 ton. Didn't even know it was back there. Later bought a 1/2 ton Chev pickup as knock around ranch ass hauler. Decided to see how it handled the trailer and tractor. Worked fine. Added overload springs, new shocks, transmission cooler and brake controller (trailer has 4 wheel brakes) and it performs very nicely now. Sold the 1 Ton.

I, have heard some states, Canada, and Mexico require brakes at 2000# gross trailer weight with cargo. my insurance company requires trailer brakes, including a breakaway lock-up system. WA state does. Those are things to check on. the life you save is worth far more than these costs.

check your state laws on the break point on requiring chains vice straps. I would neve use straps for anything that has pneumatic tires or tracks. Straps stretch from those dynamic load. The slightest movement starts the stretching. Key thing with tie downs: The load needs to become integral with the hauling platform.

Ron

/ Hauling Sub-Compact. #20  
Here is the trailer that I hauled a yard of gravel in.View attachment 712158View attachment 712159View attachment 712160

That looks like quite a few homebuilt trailers I've encountered. The axle looks to be mounted at the midpoint of the cargo box, which balances the gravel load all on the axle (mobile home axle, too). Slipper springs, and light ones at that. A properly built box trailer should have closer to 60% of the box in front of the axle, so that tongue weight increases as the load does. Proper tongue weight is important - too light will cause the trailer to whip at speed, and that's pucker time! Quite often results in a very bad day.

I've got a 5x8' box trailer with 2' sides, commercially built, that's rated for 2990lbs - because 3000lbs requires brakes. My wife filled it full of broken roof tiles once, over 5400lbs of them! Just because the load fits in the trailer doesn't mean it's safe.

I travel a mountain highway nearly daily for the last seven years, and have seen many accidents related to improper use of trailers. I own five trailers currently, and use them all. Each has it's purpose, and I choose accordingly.