Have You Ever Weighed Your Truck?

/ Have You Ever Weighed Your Truck? #21  
On a side note for getting your stuff weighed. I weigh at the local mill. It costs me nothing because since I buy little things like salt and chicken feed there and I always let them have the change. Doesn't sound like much but a few pennys here and there add up and I tell him to put it toward his scale fund. I can pull across whenever I like for free.

/ Have You Ever Weighed Your Truck? #22  
Just one question LBrown? You seem to ask a lot of questions which is good. This has been going on for some time.
1*Are you going to go for it and take the plunge and buy a HD truck and trailer?
And if you do will you use either one to justify a $30,000 rig? I know I could not justify it for just toting my tractors around and an occasional broken down second vehicle.
2*You could have a tow truck come out 100 times at $300 a tow and still be money ahead because you will need to plate, insure, and maintain these new toys.
Chris
1*Depends on the info I gather and my conclusions about said info.
2*But it could get inconveniently unhandy doing it 5 or 6 days a week.

I did find a 2001 Ford f350 1 ton with a 7.3 power stroke.
It's a standard cab but I don't know if it's a long bed or not.
Don't know the milage on it yet either.
Want to look at it and drive it tomorrow.
I haven't driven a full sized pick up since I bought my 1989 Nissan pick up back in 1989
After driving nothing but import pickups for nearly 20 years I'll bet driving that thing will feel like a monster to me.

/ Have You Ever Weighed Your Truck? #23  
For sure you will need a 1 ton. Remember a dump bed adds 2,000# or more to the trucks empty weight so if you are planning on hauling 4,000# in the dump bed you will need a dually.

Chris
What's the best I could haul in a Single rear wheel 1 ton ?
with and with out a dump bed.
Thanks LB.
I'd like to stay away from dual wheels.

/ Have You Ever Weighed Your Truck?
If its a standard cab, it will be a longbed. Only the extended and crewcabs were available with the shorter beds.

FWIW, as long as I keep my foot out of it, I can do better than 20mpg with my 350. Not bad for a 7000lb truck. A couple hundred thousand miles on a diesel F-350 is no big deal...... just getting broke in at that point.

/ Have You Ever Weighed Your Truck? #25  
My 2002 Dodge 2500, quad cab, 4x4, cummins weighs about 6950#, full of fuel with me in it.. I was shocked that it weighed that much.. I am running passenger car tags that top off at 7500#'s, so I dont have a lot of legal capacity..

The weigh station LEO told me they love to catch dually pickups running passenger tags that are overweight without a load..

Brian

/ Have You Ever Weighed Your Truck? #26  
I've never weighed mine but it did lose weight recently. I cleaned out my tool box. Decided I didn't really need eight adjustable wrenches after all. And that was only the beginning. I took a bunch of really crazy stuff out of that tool box, not to mention what was riding around in the bed. Gets better mileage now too.

/ Have You Ever Weighed Your Truck? #28  
Passenger tags have a limit. In his case, 7500# is the limit. Some dually p/u weigh over 7500#. It's not that the truck's overloaded, it's that it's illegal to have that much weight on a passenger vehicle tag.

Kyle

/ Have You Ever Weighed Your Truck? #29  
On a side note for getting your stuff weighed. I weigh at the local mill. It costs me nothing because since I buy little things like salt and chicken feed there and I always let them have the change. Doesn't sound like much but a few pennies here and there add up and I tell him to put it toward his scale fund. I can pull across whenever I like for free.
If you are trying to save pennies, stay away from the truckstop scales. They are always the most expensive.

I used to haul my garbage to a local transfer station where I paid by the ton for disposal. Scaling was incidental so it was basically free. I regularly purchased hay by the ton so would scale at either a local feed mill or a coal yard to scale both loaded and unloaded. They would charge me about a whopping two bucks for a four axle weigh (pick up and trailer) for both of my weighs. I think the local truckstop was up to 2.50 per axle at that time each time over the scale.

PS While we are on the subject of scaling, a little "scale etiquette" is in order. Come to a stop prior to pulling on to the scale. Ease on to the scale and come to a gentle stop. True you are only driving a pickup which is not nearly as heavy as a tri-axle dump but scales are touchy and you do not want to upset the operator.

If you have two way traffic, take your turn. If you have time and an obvious commercial vehicle is in line opposite of you, why not let them go through? Time is money. Chances are, that other driver has the routine down and will make haste where as you are a "newbie" and are on a learning curve.

/ Have You Ever Weighed Your Truck? #30  
The place where I scale has no operator. I scale myself. I just pull on, get out, go inside and look at the numbers and leave. Mill owner knows me and doesn't even get out of his seat in the office unless I need a slip for something.