Having a blast with our new M62

/ Having a blast with our new M62 #341  
The mini x didn’t get to the job by itself. I’d just throw the dirt on my truck. View attachment 713372
Your situation is not the norm for people here on TBN.
Very few have a dump truck, and many do not even have a trailer.

/ Having a blast with our new M62 #342  
I have rented a 5 ton mini ex a time or 2. Here are my overall thoughts as a M62 owner.

1. Trenching, I find it easier to dig straight, clean trenches with the M62. Maybe it is just because I have more experience. I have the creep gear so its no problem to move back every 10 or so feet of digging. I also find the machine moves less when I am digging long, straight trenches.
2. Footings/holes: More planning required on the M62 for spoils location and how to reach sides if it is a long/deep hole. However I get straighter walls (especially end walls) with the backhoe.
3. Clearing land - to me this is where the mini-ex blows the M62 away. First, maneuverability is unmatched. In the woods this really matters. Moving material in front of you to a location behind you is just so valuable (turret), and being able to move something in the bucket with thumb in any direction you need is just amazing. Next, the stability is better. I have hills, I have ruts, rocks. MiniEx was really good at this terrain.
4. Last…that angle blade. It’s like a mini bulldozer. A tracked machine with a blade is much more effective at smoothing ground than backblading with a tractor or using a rear blade (Even going in reverse). Tracks are just better at keeping it even. I can move rocks with the thumb as I go, put them to the side, then blade forward. So useful.

I had about 5 acres burn in a fire last year (not all in the same spot) and have realized that cleaning this up is a much better job for an excavator. If I can swing it this year I plan on trying to pick one up.

/ Having a blast with our new M62 #343  
Love to have a mini x to play with on the farm. When the electric utility put their 13.8kVA lines underground the crew let me play around with theirs a little. Most trenching was done with a big chain trencher.

Trying to retire and have sold my herd of ag tractors and the M59 is now the trick mule. Wild turkeys and deer have taken over the farm. Wife and I have gone from farming to more like park maintenance crew. So having less rolling stock to maintain is helpful.

With miles of fencing, roads, underground Utilities, 3 old houses, barns, creeks, springs, ponds and timber to maintain bigger is not always better. What needs fixing always seems to be in a tight spot. The little B26 dance card stays full. It simply can fit and perform with less collateral damage. Plumbers and landscapers that do maintenance like mini size.

/ Having a blast with our new M62 #344  
Your situation is not the norm for people here on TBN.
Very few have a dump truck, and many do not even have a trailer.

Nobody is claiming a mini x is the most versatile machine ever. It’s not. Nobody is claiming every homeowner should go buy a CTL and mini x. But comparing the 3 machines the mini x and CTL outperforms the M59 by a landslide. More so on the mini x vs the backhoe than the front loader vs the CTL. The M59 loader was a pretty good tool. I was never happy with my M59 backhoe from the first day I got it. The mini x is just so much better in every way. You’d have to run one to understand. I didn’t until I had one. The CTL will still outperform the M59 loader at virtually everything but it’s not the massive difference the mini x is.

/ Having a blast with our new M62 #345  
Nobody is claiming a mini x is the most versatile machine ever. It’s not. Nobody is claiming every homeowner should go buy a CTL and mini x. But comparing the 3 machines the mini x and CTL outperforms the M59 by a landslide. More so on the mini x vs the backhoe than the front loader vs the CTL. The M59 loader was a pretty good tool. I was never happy with my M59 backhoe from the first day I got it. The mini x is just so much better in every way. You’d have to run one to understand. I didn’t until I had one. The CTL will still outperform the M59 loader at virtually everything but it’s not the massive difference the mini x is.
I wanted a "Swiss army knife" and my L48 TLB does a fantastic job for what I want to do.
At 81 years old, I just don't need or want any commercial earth moving equipment.

/ Having a blast with our new M62 #346  
I wanted a "Swiss army knife" and my L48 TLB does a fantastic job for what I want to do.
At 81 years old, I just don't need or want any commercial earth moving equipment.

But the mini has heat and AC. The M59 had neither. That makes it well worth it. Lol.

/ Having a blast with our new M62 #347  
Same here. As an excavator, a TLB pales in comparison. As an all around tool a TLB excels. When I need to dig a hole on the back 40, the TLB can be done and back in the barn by about the time the mini ex can get to the back 40.

Different tools that should not be compared side by side.

Last edited:
   / Having a blast with our new M62 #348  
But the mini has heat and AC. The M59 had neither. That makes it well worth it. Lol.
I do nothing outside when it is too hot to be comfortable.
I do nothing outside when it is too cold to be comfortable.
I do nothing outside when it is too wet to be comfortable.
At almost 81.....
With my L48 TLB,..... I do what I want,.... when I want!

/ Having a blast with our new M62 #349  
I do nothing outside when it is too hot to be comfortable.
I do nothing outside when it is too cold to be comfortable.
I do nothing outside when it is too wet to be comfortable.
At almost 81.....
With my L48 TLB,..... I do what I want,.... when I want!

We’ll planed retirement. My weather, trees, leaks and projects missed my retirement party. The air conditioning and heat would be welcome at times. New trick this year is carrying a 20V polesaw and trimming low limbs from seat platform on the M59. Be hard to do with a cab.

/ Having a blast with our new M62 #350  
New trick this year is carrying a 20V polesaw and trimming low limbs from seat platform on the M59. Be hard to do with a cab.
Who sez you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I'll put that one away in my toolbox for the next time... 👍