Hay Farmers getting out of farming

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming
I wish I got money for conservancy land, all I get a tax break. But, on the bright side there essentially zero rules other than restrictions on building permanent structures which you have to apply for or just don't renew conservancy or change the land map both of which are faster than the application from what I hear.
A lot of times it depends on how much development pressure is on the land in your area. My area is still pretty rural with some suburban pockets. In the 70’s, when land pressure came to the area, our local wealthy elders organized conservancies and started buying up development rights rather quickly. My particular township has just a few single building lots left. Large swaths of land are protected forever.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #112  
Don't "big city" folks love moving to smaller "hick towns" for vacations? They would descend on these hick town like pesky locusts. It's a love/hate relationship that the hick townies have with them. The trauma bonding goes on every summer. Then, there are city folks who stay to set up small businesses like coffee shops, restaurants, and art stores to cater to big city folks on vacation. Some even venture into small scale organic farming. They make the small towns into some of the coolest small towns in the USA.
The worst part is when they want to bring “big city” amenities (street lights, sidewalks, convenience stores) and dont want to smell the neighbors “country” life.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #113  
If I were a struggling farmer, I’d be looking at sitting down and breaking bread with a couple local conservancies and explain what kind of “win/win” you can do with them.
Sounds right. It would be good if there is a "small farm conservation" movement in every state of the union.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #114  
Yep.
“Money talks and B$ walks”
That’s why 105 years later, we are on the same place the grandparents left us. Still no suitcase. :cry:

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #115  
Don't "big city" folks love moving to smaller "hick towns" for vacations? They would descend on these hick town like pesky locusts. It's a love/hate relationship that the hick townies have with them. The trauma bonding goes on every summer. Then, there are city folks who stay to set up small businesses like coffee shops, restaurants, and art stores to cater to big city folks on vacation. Some even venture into small scale organic farming. They make the small towns into some of the coolest small towns in the USA.
Our small town doesn't have coffee shops, restaurants or art stores and we like it like that. Closest coffee shop is 45 miles (an hour or so) away, closest small grocery store (a hometown mart) ~20 miles away, real grocery store, 45 miles. Closest street light, 20+ miles - there are the odd security light here & there though. All of us out here like it that way. What we don't particularly care for are the big city folk that think our county roads are their public trash cans or come here expecting that all of us are going to change for them. Had one that (tried to) petition the county into paving all the county maintained gravel roads by increasing our property taxes and taking away the farm exemption on property. Needless to say they didn't get many signatures.

I believe we are a very accepting community, we don't care who you know, who you are or who you've been. We are almost always available to lend a helping hand, but don't intrude. We tend to just like most everybody until they screw us over then the party is over.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #116  
Our small town doesn't have coffee shops, restaurants or art stores and we like it like that. Closest coffee shop is 45 miles (an hour or so) away, closest small grocery store (a hometown mart) ~20 miles away, real grocery store, 45 miles. Closest street light, 20+ miles - there are the odd security light here & there though. All of us out here like it that way. What we don't particularly care for are the big city folk that think our county roads are their public trash cans or come here expecting that all of us are going to change for them. Had one that (tried to) petition the county into paving all the county maintained gravel roads by increasing our property taxes and taking away the farm exemption on property. Needless to say they didn't get many signatures.

I believe we are a very accepting community, we don't care who you know, who you are or who you've been. We are almost always available to lend a helping hand, but don't intrude. We tend to just like most everybody until they screw us over then the party is over.
If you don't have a street light, you are not a small town, Chris. You are off the grid.

What are you farming?

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #117  
If you don't have a street light, you are not a small town, Chris. You are off the grid.

What are you farming?
Not true, we have electricity from the co-op, water from our well, red fuel & gas from another co-op and a year or so ago somebody opened a beer store for the hired help & big city folk. We even have the green signs on the hwy that have the towns name so we must be a town. 😁

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #118  
Oh, and let's see. Our post office is in another town in another county about 20 miles away in the opposite direction from the closest store - that "big city" has a population of 78, no stores but one small restaurant next to the post office. BTW, the town with the store, restaurants, gas stations & Dr office, population of 329, big city with a Kroger, Home Depot & Walmart super store 45 miles away, population of ~10K.

To answer what is farmed out here, mostly cattle & chicken with the odd row cropper & pig farmer here & there. Me, well I guess I'm sort of retired from the big farm life and now enjoy life "hobby farmin' - if its actually possible to do that 😅🙂😉 - with the odd truckload or so of cows and veggies etc for the house

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #119  
... Generally those who internet farmland are too lazy to farm it themselves and want to make money pushing buttons, papers or something much easier...
I'd guess a lot of kids would see their parents, particularly their father, in a constant state of stress and hard physical labor as being a turn-off to any career, not just farming.

Talking to my wife's friend's husband (the one with the 10,000 acres and 8000 hogs and fireman for 30 years) many times over the past few years, he often laments not spending more time with his wife and children and wonders if it was worth it. Not one of his children have anything to do with farming. They all have successful careers in other industries, and I'd hardly call them lazy.

/ Hay Farmers getting out of farming #120  
Just hauled in fifty rolls of hay that I bought from a local producer. Plan on buying more next week while I can get it and I'm on his list for hay this summer. I've produced a lot of hay here the last forty years but it's going to be cheaper to buy what I need when I consider my time and effort. When Dad was here we worked together on cutting, raking and baling but since he passed away in '99 I've been doing it all myself. I'll probably sell my equipment this spring.