Hay Unloading Attachment

/ Hay Unloading Attachment #11  
You can call a rendering plant and they'll come cut them horses up with chainsaws and save you having to bother with the hay business.

/ Hay Unloading Attachment #12  
I think I could build something like what you are asking for out of 3 or possibly 4 8-foot 4x4 posts.
Ok, so drill/torch/plasma a 1-1.5” hole where you marked the center of those vertical 4x4s on the top lip of the bucket.

Like i said, i think i could build it out of 3x 8ft sticks and a bunch of large lag screws. At that size of lag screw i personally would pre-drill those holes so the screws are less likely to split the 4x4s.

Here’s a shitty pic i did on a iphone 6 screenshot that shows the ROUGH angles of the bucket end of things.🤣 Good luck!
Yes, something like that should work. Could you run a cargo strap around th ebucket instead of drilling holes?

/ Hay Unloading Attachment #14  
Even though your loader can not pick up the round bales, it probably can punch a pipe or rod, or chain thru the center of them. If you can hook a long chain to this pipe/rod,chain, I'll bet you can pull them off the trailer lengthwise and roll them up to your storage area.

I wouldn't worry too much about them rolling into you when you pull them off because they make lousy wheels, but they will roll. I've seen this method used to feed out the bales, too. Cut the wrapper and unroll it in the pasture.

/ Hay Unloading Attachment #16  
My only comment on this thread is...

Break down an buy a real tractor with a real front end loader and and install a bale spear either to the bucket or a stand alone one. Lots of used ones on Tractor House. That antique tractor you have is an accident waiting to happen and pushing round bales off a trailer or whatever is an exercise in getting hurt. Upgrade to something (tractor-loader) that is actually suitable or quit volunteering.

/ Hay Unloading Attachment #17  
I dont entirely agree but i agree that if you cant get it done with something as cheap and simple as what i suggested, you’re probably better off searching for your next (or second?!) tractor vs trying to adapt this one to task.

I think something you may run into that would be hard to work around is with the loader lifted nesr max height and pushing forward, you’ll probably be lifting your front wheels off the ground before you can push very hard. If you draw a line from the end of your push bar, through the pins your loader arms pivot on, and out the back of the tractor: If that line passes below the rear axle then pushing forward with push your front end down (good) , but jf that line passes above your rear axle you’ll be lifting your front tires (bad depending on to what extent).

/ Hay Unloading Attachment
I think I'll rig up something to push off a trailer with, but first tier only.
Messing with a second row is courting disaster.
Absolutely no chance of getting another tractor - I'm still driving a 1987 pickup and a 1999 car, still paying off the barn and not getting anywhere near the donations needed to fund Harley's Place Animal Rescue. Wife had to go back to work to feed all of them.
Thanks for all the input!

/ Hay Unloading Attachment #19  
I don’t believe there’s much of a problem of pushing the hay off of the trailer.

Most of the hay that I see being shipped is two bales on the bottom and a single bale in the middle of the top row. If you were to push the bottom, two bales off of the rear of the trailer, the top one would fall down to the deck, or all the way to the ground. This could be relatively easily done and with minimal chance of any harm.

An alternative would be to place a strap between the back, two bales across the trailer and pull the bottom. Two bales off the trailer at the same time. And again the top bale would fall to the trailer deck and easily rolled off.

I know the following statements will upset some but many people try to humanize horses instead of letting a horse be a horse.

If they were still wild, mother nature would thin the herd with predators. The old and the infirm would provide nourishment for the predators. Artificially prolonging the life of the old and infirm just prolongs the pain and discomfort of old age and terminal illnesses.

I personally don’t understand the desire to rescue horses. They should be treated well, and at the end of their usefulness, they should be terminated. A 25 year old horse standing around in the pasture year after year suffering with arthritis and every other old time disease is inhumane to me.

I delivered hay to a woman, and when I saw the horse, I was sure I was gonna to call the Humane Society. The animal was somewhere near 35 years old and in agony, but the woman couldn’t give up the horse that she has had since childhood. She was spending thousands of dollars for special feeds and veterinary care. There was no chance of improvement for the horse as she had no teeth and was nothing more than skin and bones. It was truly difficult to look at the horse. It had long lost its will to live.

There was nothing good to come from it other than prolonging the pain the horse was going through.

/ Hay Unloading Attachment #20  
I think I'll rig up something to push off a trailer with, but first tier only.
Messing with a second row is courting disaster.
Absolutely no chance of getting another tractor - I'm still driving a 1987 pickup and a 1999 car, still paying off the barn and not getting anywhere near the donations needed to fund Harley's Place Animal Rescue. Wife had to go back to work to feed all of them.
Thanks for all the input!

If 15-20 grand or so for the right tool is out of the question 6 or 7 figures in medical debt plus being laid up and can’t work will sure enough be a burden.