Help me choose another tractor.

/ Help me choose another tractor. #1  

motownbrowne

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota mx4700 HST, New Holland TC-29D
Well, this might not happen quite as soon as I'd like, but I'm at least going to start dialing in what I need. I've got a Kubota MX4700, which has been perfect for what I'm doing with it (growing vegetables primarily, but also skidding logs, moving pallets, and mowing overgrown pasture).

I'd like to have another tractor for a couple of reasons. 1: reduce time spent changing implements. There are days when I swap what's on the back 6 times or more. Also, there are times when I'd use the bush hog for an hour in the evening, but don't feel like dropping the tiller, mounting the mower, and then switching back before work in the morning.

2. The Kubota is on the large size for some tasks we use it for. We were looking at a smaller tractor, but I needed the loader to be able to lift pallets of feed (or close to full pallets anyway), so we got the MX. It's great, and I'm glad we have it, but when it's a little wet out and we need to move a wagon or would like to mow, the MX with R1s makes a mess of the yard. Not the end of the world, but I'm thinking a second tractor either with turfs or industrial tires would help in these situations.

So... I'm tractor window shopping. Looking for a 4wd 25-40HP tractor without a loader and with turfs or industrials. Oh, and under $10k.There's a nice looking JD1050 mfwd with turfs about two hours from me. Hours aren't listed in the ad. According to tractordata, this'll have about 33 PTO HP. Asking price is $7900. A good friend of mine has the next series model, the 1070 and is very happy with it. My concern is that this rig is somewhere between 25-35 years old. What's parts support like from JD, and if parts are available, are they expensive?

Also available is a. NH TC29D. Fluid filled industrials on all 4 corners. Under 900 hours. Looks used from the ad, but that's fine. Asking price is 6500. About 10 fewer PTO HP at 23.5, but it's a 3 range hydro transmission, which I really like, it's also from about Y2K, so it's considerably newer. From my understanding, parts for these might get pricey as NH no longer produces them with Shibura.

Alternatively, for the same price range I'm seeing older Fords in the thousand series, including a couple available with turfs. These are 2wd and without ROPS, which is something I'd like to have. And on the other end of the spectrum, Build My Kubota gives an MSRP for the L2501 with turfs and no loader at 15,500. That is of course over my budget and the lowest HP option, but it's brand new with no emissions business, and will have a warranty, not to mention the new tractor smell.

I'll mostly be using this machine to mow with a 5'rotary cutter or 6' flail, for tilling with a 4' tiller, and for some light skidding with my Farmi 351.

Any thoughts on these machines or something else I haven't considered would be fantastic. Thanks!

/ Help me choose another tractor. #2  
I would look for an old tractor. Those old tractors are built like a tank with very few unnecessary parts to break. The old tractors almost all have r1 tires, but you could buy new tires and rims and still be under 10,000

/ Help me choose another tractor.
Well, just talked to the Deere owner. I guess that machine's got 6700 hours on it! While that is impressive, I think that makes me nervous enough to pass on that one. Also, it's a 1981, which isn't a problem, but it puts it at almost 35 years old. I told the guy that I thought that was more hours than what I really wanted but that I'd keep his number. There wasn't any talk of lowering the price, but for that many hours, I'd probably have to get it for under $6000 to be happy about it.

I would look for an old tractor. Those old tractors are built like a tank with very few unnecessary parts to break. The old tractors almost all have r1 tires, but you could buy new tires and rims and still be under 10,000

That's certainly an option, but I'd be probably foregoing the ROPS, and definitely the mfwd. 2wd and turfs sounds slippery to me. On the other hand, I like the old Fords, especially after they turned blue. And a gasser could be had pretty cheap. I do like their stoutness, and I'd rather start an old gasser than an old American diesel in the winter. A Japanese diesel would be fine, though.

/ Help me choose another tractor. #5  
John deere has excellent parts availability probably second to noone. I am currently working on a 1970s 550 dozer and almost everything is available for a price! I can also easily get parts for our 4020, right around a 69 vintage I think!

/ Help me choose another tractor. #6  
If you're worried about your lawn wouldn't the older 30hp Fords be as heavy as your MX?

If you're worried about your lawn wouldn't the older 30hp Fords be as heavy as your MX?

I'm thinking that if it's got air-filled turf tires and no loader, the weight can be relatively high and still be a lot easier on the soil than the MX plus loader riding on filled R1s.

/ Help me choose another tractor. #8  
Forget old. They are too large and heavy.

If you are happy with your Kubota look for a "B" model. I had a B2910 that I loved. 30hp, mfwd, 3spd hst, 3000lb. Can use a MMM if you want. I mowed with mine and preferred it over a JD455. Position control 3pt, suspension seat, tilt/telescope steering wheel, cruise control, Independent PTO. Surprisingly capable tractor. The later model is the B3030. I think you can find a 2910 without MMM in your price range and will last a very long time.

/ Help me choose another tractor. #9  
Forget old. They are too large and heavy. .
Wait, isn't that what a tractor is supposed to be? For mowing he doesn't need weight, but when he decides to hook up a plow it will sure be nice.

/ Help me choose another tractor. #10  
Wait, isn't that what a tractor is supposed to be? For mowing he doesn't need weight, but when he decides to hook up a plow it will sure be nice.

I was just going by his statement in the third paragraph: The Kubota is on the large size for some tasks we use it for. We were looking at a smaller tractor :confused3: