Help me choose another tractor.

/ Help me choose another tractor. #11  
How small do you want to go?
Do you have any small areas you want to get to?
What's the minimum you would like to be able to lift?
What attachments do you want to "share"?

My B7610 is a little on the small side and my M4700 a little on the big side for what I do, mainly clearing trails at the moment.
I'd say look for a minimum of about 25 PTO HP, FEL, 4WD HST.

/ Help me choose another tractor.
Wait, isn't that what a tractor is supposed to be? For mowing he doesn't need weight, but when he decides to hook up a plow it will sure be nice.

I was just going by his statement in the third paragraph: The Kubota is on the large size for some tasks we use it for. We were looking at a smaller tractor :confused3:

Yep, the little one will never see any draft type tillage. For plowing, discing, etc. the Kubota with ag tires is the tool for the job. I want something lighter that puts less psi on the ground. And I don't want or need a FEL on this machine, mostly because I've got a nice one on the Kubota, and it lets me have a bigger machine for less money and with less weight than if it had a loader.

Richard, I'd love to have a nice B, but darn are they pricey around here. I'm even seeing bare BXs going for over $8000! The New Holland I mentioned seems like a nice price if the machine checks out.

/ Help me choose another tractor. #13  
I agree with Richard that a Kubota B3030 would be the best fit for you. My second choice would be a Deere 2720. Both are much lighter and more compact than the current MX4700 but still have the right features to make them a "handy size".

I don't think I would buy an older tractor again in this size. I had an older Deere 820 (31 pto hp) and while it was a good tractor it lacked the convenience of the newer tractors and was parked most of the time. The modern hst tractors in the small sizes are hard to beat.

I would also recommend a quick hitch with topntilt to reduce the time to swap implements. I often have to change implements several times a day and the quick hitch is the right tool for the job. If fitament is an issue you might consider the Delta hitch/hook system too, while more costly it is a very easy to hitch and adaptable to most older implements. While these quick hitches won't solve the problems with the yard rutting they will make life easier changing out implements and would be a lot less money than changing or adding additional tractors.

/ Help me choose another tractor. #14  
Yep, the little one will never see any draft type tillage. For plowing, discing, etc. the Kubota with ag tires is the tool for the job. I want something lighter that puts less psi on the ground. And I don't want or need a FEL on this machine, mostly because I've got a nice one on the Kubota, and it lets me have a bigger machine for less money and with less weight than if it had a loader.

Richard, I'd love to have a nice B, but darn are they pricey around here. I'm even seeing bare BXs going for over $8000! The New Holland I mentioned seems like a nice price if the machine checks out.

Yeah, B's hold their value very well, and for a good reason. I'd agree to not be brand conscious and buy what suits your needs.

I can easily relate to your wants in a second tractor. I went thru the same thing last year. Though my sizes are larger than yours, the same needs were there. Reduces changing attachments dramatically. Also saves those hours on the larger tractor for tasks that it is built for.

Good luck in your search and post the results. We love to see guys spend money!!! :)

20150306_141329 (1280x720).jpg

Alright, nothing final yet, but this pipedream has taken two big steps toward reality.

1. I convinced my "business partners" (my wife and father) of the need for a nice little diesel tractor without a loader.

2. I talked to the seller of the New Holland tc29 on the phone. Seems like a good deal and an honest guy. The tractor belongs to his brother and is in a storage facility in Iowa. Once I pay him through PayPal, the tractor will be shipped directly to me. Shipping is included in the purchase price.

/ Help me choose another tractor. #16  
Is number 1 as likely as number 2? Would be in my house.

/ Help me choose another tractor. #17  
Alright, nothing final yet, but this pipedream has taken two big steps toward reality.

1. I convinced my "business partners" (my wife and father) of the need for a nice little diesel tractor without a loader.

2. I talked to the seller of the New Holland tc29 on the phone. Seems like a good deal and an honest guy. The tractor belongs to his brother and is in a storage facility in Iowa. Once I pay him through PayPal, the tractor will be shipped directly to me. Shipping is included in the purchase price.

Where in Iowa?? I'm 6 miles from the South border on Interstate 35 South of Des Moines. I'll go take a look at it for you if it's not clear up in the North end of the State.

I'm very nervous about deals like this. Very, very nervous.

/ Help me choose another tractor. #18  
Me thinks (hopes) motownbrowne has a pretty rye sense of humor. If not, I'm selling some stuff for my Nigerian uncle he might be interested in....

Me thinks (hopes) motownbrowne has a pretty rye sense of humor. If not, I'm selling some stuff for my Nigerian uncle he might be interested in....

Guilty as charged. ;). Sorry, though I meant to deliver the punchline much earlier, but got distracted by dinner. Sorry guys.
Where in Iowa?? I'm 6 miles from the South border on Interstate 35 South of Des Moines. I'll go take a look at it for you if it's not clear up in the North end of the State.

I'm very nervous about deals like this. Very, very nervous.

Richard, jokes aside, thank you sincerely for this generous offer. What a great example of the tractorbynet community in action.

In reality, the tractor is being sold by the owner. I'll meet him at his house Monday or Tuesday and see it in person. Hopefully I can post a scaled down of Richard's picture within the week.

Another darned duplicate!!