Help Setting Up A MIG Welder, or Selecting A New One,,,

/ Help Setting Up A MIG Welder, or Selecting A New One,,, #1  

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
I have filled ALL of my welding needs with the Miller Trailblazer,, by exclusively stick welding.
At times, I know there are more projects I would do if I had a MIG welder set up and running in the shop.

First, what I have;
The Miller Trailblazer, and,
the Miller spool gun MIG setup for the Trailblazer, and,
Three gas bottles, one for steel, one for aluminum, the third, I believe is for TIG?

A 30# spool of steel wire would last me a decade, so the small spools might be OK for me,

So my questions:
Should I try to use this Trailblazer MIG setup, or should I just go buy a MIG machine like a Millermatic 252?

(my main negative about buying a machine like the Millermatic 252 is that the wire would probably rust between uses)

Is there a source of manuals for the Miller welders?

Please help me get MIGGING!! :thumbsup:

/ Help Setting Up A MIG Welder, or Selecting A New One,,, #2  
Look for a used Lincoln LN-25 to run with your Trailblazer.

Attachments

• LN-25.jpg
    LN-25.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 384
   / Help Setting Up A MIG Welder, or Selecting A New One,,, #3  
If you want portability for mig (or fluxcore) get a suitcase welder for your Trailblazer. I like my Lincoln LN 25.

IMG_0560.JPG

If you intend to only mig in your shop, then a MM252 would be nice.

Edit: Shield Arc beat me to it
LN 25’s are so rugged even older used ones are usually in good working order. ( compared to the Miller equivalent. )

I purchased these TWO with fluxcore guns for $800 Cdn. and they worked perfectly.

IMG_8585.JPG

Last edited:
   / Help Setting Up A MIG Welder, or Selecting A New One,,, #4  
   / Help Setting Up A MIG Welder, or Selecting A New One,,, #5  
I haven't used a Miller feeder since the mid 1980s. Looks like they have improved greatly. When we built the Pioneer Square station of the Metro Tunnel down town Seattle. The company bought Miller feeders. The doors fell off the first day!:thumbdown:

/ Help Setting Up A MIG Welder, or Selecting A New One,,, #6  
I have filled ALL of my welding needs with the Miller Trailblazer,, by exclusively stick welding.
At times, I know there are more projects I would do if I had a MIG welder set up and running in the shop.

First, what I have;
Three gas bottles, one for steel, one for aluminum, the third, I believe is for TIG?

A 30# spool of steel wire would last me a decade, so the small spools might be OK for me,

So my questions:
Should I try to use this Trailblazer MIG setup, or should I just go buy a MIG machine like a Millermatic 252?

(my main negative about buying a machine like the Millermatic 252 is that the wire would probably rust between uses)

If 240V/190A is enough, the Hobart Handler 190 MIG (by Miller) is a good value (available for $650 or less).
I found a deal on a brand new in the box, with 5 yr. warranty, Hobart Handler 190 MIG, for $455, back in January.
Like you, a 30# spool of steel wire would last me a decade.
I currently have 2 two pound spools, and am 77 years old.
Hope I will need to buy lots more.

Last edited:
   / Help Setting Up A MIG Welder, or Selecting A New One,,, #7  
Is anyone using self shielded flux core with their LN-25? Which gun did you use? I have a LN25 that's set up for hard wire, gas shielded.. I'm thinking about trying flux core, but it has the older magnum 400 gun that I don't believe works well with self shielded flux core, maybe I'm wrong.

/ Help Setting Up A MIG Welder, or Selecting A New One,,, #8  
We always used the Lincoln K-126 self shielded flux core guns.

Attachments

• K126 gun.jpg
    K126 gun.jpg
    880.3 KB · Views: 139
   / Help Setting Up A MIG Welder, or Selecting A New One,,, #9  

First, what I have;

So my questions:

Two gas bottles; 100% argon can be used for TIG and aluminum MIG.

/ Help Setting Up A MIG Welder, or Selecting A New One,,, #10  
I haven't used a Miller feeder since the mid 1980s. Looks like they have improved greatly. When we built the Pioneer Square station of the Metro Tunnel down town Seattle. The company bought Miller feeders. The doors fell off the first day!:thumbdown:

Quit kicking them off the scaffolding :D

I have the older 90's model Miller super s-32p. If it got rough handled, I'm sure it would get broken quickly.
Works great for my little bobcat 225nt though :)