Hitch Ball on Loader?

/ Hitch Ball on Loader? #1  

Gone Fishin'

Hi Guys,

Please forgive my apparent ignorance -- I'm still pretty new to the world of acreages and tractors. I'd like to be able to shunt my boat trailer with my GC2300. Although I've done so using the ball mount in the rear, I find it wreaks havoc with my back when I lift the trailer to the tractor's level (the trailer jack doesn't drop low enough to meet the tractor). The 3 pt hitch also tends to get in the way when you're trying to manipulate that amount of weight. Are there any potential issues with drilling a hole in the lip of the loader for a ball hitch? Will I be able to do so with a hand or hammer drill? Has anybody used this approach for moving trailers around?

Thanks in advance!

/ Hitch Ball on Loader? #3  
I wouldn't drill a hole in my loader for that. Too much tongue weight from the trailer could either pull the rear wheels off the ground or bow the bucket if you had enough counterweight on the back. The 3 point hitch receiver seems to be a better idea, but I personally have no experience using one with a bucket.

/ Hitch Ball on Loader? #4  
Small trailers, regular tongue weight, few hundred pounds. Not a problem.

/ Hitch Ball on Loader? #5  
I'm thinking about moving a trailer around too. I also would like to move my chipper, it weighs about 1500lbs on the trailer. I'm thinking about one of these. Easy on. easy off and no drilling the bucket

Attachments

• df_1.jpg
    df_1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 542
   / Hitch Ball on Loader? #6  
asylum575 said:
I'm thinking about moving a trailer around too. I also would like to move my chipper, it weighs about 1500lbs on the trailer. I'm thinking about one of these. Easy on. easy off and no drilling the bucket
I'm not sure what forum I read it in, but some one on here had a problem with that style. It had pivoted sideways while under load and almost caused him to lose the trailer down a hill. I think one fix was to weld "wings" to it to give it more surface mounting area.

/ Hitch Ball on Loader? #7  
asylum575 said:

I like it but agree with MReeb, drill a 3/4" hole and let the set screw go through the bucket, that'll keep it in place.

/ Hitch Ball on Loader? #8  
Check the project threads. There are several different variations of receivers for the standard 2" square tube hitches. Some people have mounted them on their buckets and others have made adapters that go on the three point hitch. Sounds like you may be a bit "light" in the tool department but, a 1/2" chuck drill would drill your bucket steel fairly easily as long as you have sharp bits. drill a 1/4" hole first then step up to the 1/2". Go slow with moderate pressure and use lots of lube.

/ Hitch Ball on Loader?
Wow -- thanks guys! I'm no closer to deciding on a solution, but you've really got me thinking. Sincerely appreciate all the input. :D Where's Doug on this one? He must have something rigged up...