Home built hiller

/ Home built hiller #41  
I did check out the Ginormous pics. That was good advice. I have the same 2" bar that he has. My plan is to bolt the bar to an old 3pt. cultivator (photo attached), and then attach the blade shanks to the bar. Looks like Ginormous used rounded ubolts with a square bracket. Know if anyone sells a little bracket or bracket/ubolt set like that? Agri-Supply says the diameter of the shank is 1 3/16". If I can't find that, I'm sure the welder down the highway will fix me up.

As for Palmetto, I'm overdue for a trip and will certainly look for Palmetto Drive. I also need to head further north to Cheneyville. We had a family farm there, which we would visit occasionally when I was a kid. I think it was on Bayou Boeuf. There's a lot of history up there because we have an ancestor from Cheneyville who was a Confederate general. photo.JPG

/ Home built hiller #42  
Ginormous, very nice. Did you purchase those u-bolt brackets? I trying to make that same connection. Thanks.

Paul

/ Home built hiller
IMG_1166 (1280x960).jpgIMG_1174 (1280x960).jpgIMG_1175 (1280x960).jpg

I have it ready for a test drive I will take it home and play in the garden a bit and bring it back to the shop for repairs or additions. I went out here at the shop to my old potato patch that had weeds etc and hadn't been tilled for a few years and it tore it up pretty good so in tilled dirt it should work ok.

I know I will at least paint it and put a kick stand on it so it will stand on its own like I said but I haven't found any spring teeth or sweeps. I'm not looking hard but they are not sitting here waiting on me to instal them either put it like that.

Oh and the total out of pocket is just over 40 bucks not counting welding consumables. I had to buy a trailer axle mount kit-22 bucks, 10 new lug nuts and 4 new 1/2 bolts and nuts, and I think thats it?

/ Home built hiller #44  
Lookin good. Ya all have probably seen this, if not, it might be interesting to you. Tractor 3 Point Hitch Garden Bedder 48",Potato Hiller, Hiller,GB48, Furrowing Attachment with Shovel Point Optional,14" Ball Bearing Disc, Quick Attach 3pt hitch

/ Home built hiller #45  
Ginormous, very nice. Did you purchase those u-bolt brackets? I trying to make that same connection. Thanks.

Paul -- sorry, haven't been on for a few days... I did buy those brackets for 2" square to 1 3/16" round. I got them at a place in Ohio called Buckeye Tractor. Here's there website: Buckeye Tractor Co They list them as 2" square to 1 1/4" round, but they work just great with the Agri-supply hillers that have 1 3/16" round shanks. They're not free, $18.69 each (part # 17500), so you might be able to make some for yourself using their simple design.

/ Home built hiller #46  
Here are some updated pics of the toolbar frame I made with a nice coat of paint -- you'll have to image the hillers attached. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_2848_1.JPG
    IMG_2848_1.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2849_1.JPG
    IMG_2849_1.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_2850_1.JPG
    IMG_2850_1.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 175
   / Home built hiller #47  
BTW, these people sell a clamp to attach a flat shank to a 2" toolbar. This could be used to make a subsoiler, middle buster, or furrower attachment. shop.woodwardcrossingscountrybasics.com/Build-Your-Own-3-Pt-Hitches-Toolbars-Garden-Attachments_c13.htm

ps. they also sell 18" spacers that can be used to add a second 2" toolbar row.

/ Home built hiller
Thanks Clemson and Winston! I wish I had time now to finish what I want to do to it and post all the pics. I plowed, disced and tilled the garden Sunday and am ready to do the hilling. However I need a flattener on the back for lack of better terminology which I have not built yet. Winston has one on his and after playing around in the dirt I see its going to be a necessity.

I think I can live w/o the sweeps for the moment but the flattener will serve 2 purposes flatten and be a kick stand. I am so dang busy here at the shop there was 1 car towed in over the wknd and 2 more waiting on me when I got the truck and tractor over here to open shop and 6-7 already here its rediculous. I had plans to do some welding but not today haha. Oh yeah we are supposed to get snow wed or thur thats just great.:laughing:

/ Home built hiller
Looks great Ginormous you did a nice job hope we hear a good report when you get it in the dirt! :thumbsup: