Home built hydraulic FEL mounted hedge cutter

/ Home built hydraulic FEL mounted hedge cutter
Thanks;
It's all for fun, if it works then that's a nice bonus.

/ Home built hydraulic FEL mounted hedge cutter #22  
I did the same mistake as you Mark. Cut a piece of chrome rod on the saw, only to almost ruin a perfectly good and expensive blade. I'm still mad everything I think about it. 🤦‍♂️

Those blades can be sharpened, most can anyway.
Some seem to have alternating square and round tooth tips and they say they can't be sharpened.

There are no sharpening shops near me, so a couple of times I took my dull blades and bits with me when I had to go to Amsterdam for work, and had them done at the shop I knew there.
But last time I went, the old guy was gone. There is no tool sharpening service for that city!
Tools are sent to a shop near Rotterdam and it takes a couple of weeks, too slow to get them retuned before my flight back to Portugal.
Searching online, I found a shop up near Porto who said I could mail them my blades, but I haven't done so yet.

I used to get the drysaw blades ground 3 or 4 times before there wasn't enough material left. He would braze on new tips if one or two were broken, but after that it was cheaper to buy another blade.

Careful use means less tip breakage. Stock slip in the clamp on miter cuts kills them dead.

I want to make a heavy bench version like yours one day, because I can't afford a decent water cooled tungsten blade saw.
My buddy had one, I really liked it. Wonderful stock holding vice, accurate miters, smooth cuts, and reasonably quiet.

/ Home built hydraulic FEL mounted hedge cutter #24  
Mine broke some of the teeth and lost some of the others. I don't think there is much hope for that one.

You may want to invest on a blade grinding machine that I saw on OLX the other day. Not sure if I can find the ad again. It was pretty pricey too, something like €2500 or thereabouts.

If it was now, I would probably build the same style of saw, but with a bandsaw blade instead of the circular blade. I think it would be cheaper to replace the bandsaw blade versus the circular blade, would be quieter and less messy.

Something along these lines. Well, exactly like this:

I have little cash and less space!
Maybe someday both will improve.

/ Home built hydraulic FEL mounted hedge cutter #26  
some pictures of it assembled;
Except the big cylinder is taken out in this one, I don't remember why.
View attachment 701434
View attachment 701441

The hydraulic supply. The wheel has to come off to get at it.
The wheel is heavy.

View attachment 701442

cutter head with motor + all;

View attachment 701439

View attachment 701438

The valve block ready for action.

View attachment 701437

electric control box mounts on the rops.

View attachment 701436

I interrupt the supply to the FEL, send it up the the hedgecutter, and back. When the hedge cutter is off, the quick couplers fit together so it works like before.

View attachment 701435

You tube video of it working at that time;
That is awesome. I admire your skills to think of that and then to fabricate / build it from old pieces/parts!! I am sure that first run was very satisfying.

Thanks; it did work on the first run, but it took a few revisions to get it to where I'm reasonably happy with it.

/ Home built hydraulic FEL mounted hedge cutter #28  
Absolutely amazing. Should patent. Could market this to county maintenance and private. Worth a few thousand I might imagine. Good job. Very technical and precise. Gene

/ Home built hydraulic FEL mounted hedge cutter #29  
Great Job..jpg
Awesome.jpg

Thanks; there's nothing new in there to patent, but it's a fun idea.

This machine is only able to cut up to about 1", and then only if it's still green. The concept could be beefed up, but will always have an upper limit.
On the plus side, it makes a very neat cut compared to the shedding that flail mowers do.