Home made Backhoe

/ Home made Backhoe #41  
I've learned welding with a small stick welder when i was 10: Later my brother bought an industrial 380V MIG welder. Then at engineering school when i was 16 we had to learn torch welding. Later i also used TIG welders.

Iエve used all methods in practice, so i should know what i'm talking about:
My brother sometimes asks me to weld, because my welds seem to stick:
I keep telling him that its the preparation that causes 2/3 of the success of the weld. Grind rust, zinc and paint off the welding surfaces, and cut a slot or keep an opening of half the material thickness, before welding.

A stick welder makes up for a lack of preparation, but it doesnt make any better or stronger welds if the welds are properly preparated. I only use the old buzz box when i can bend the rod into a position where i cant get with the MIG torch.

/ Home made Backhoe #42  
I've learned welding with a small stick welder when i was 10: Later my brother bought an industrial 380V MIG welder. Then at engineering school when i was 16 we had to learn torch welding. Later i also used TIG welders.

Iエve used all methods in practice, so i should know what i'm talking about:
My brother sometimes asks me to weld, because my welds seem to stick:
I keep telling him that its the preparation that causes 2/3 of the success of the weld. Grind rust, zinc and paint off the welding surfaces, and cut a slot or keep an opening of half the material thickness, before welding.

A stick welder makes up for a lack of preparation, but it doesnt make any better or stronger welds if the welds are properly preparated. I only use the old buzz box when i can bend the rod into a position where i cant get with the MIG torch.

Thank you, I've welded with many different systems too.

/ Home made Backhoe #44  
OK can we get back to the main topic of this thread, backhoe? :) Where did you buy the plan? I think I like this plan better than the JP Engineering backhoe plan..

Do I need to have an aux hydraulic system on my tractor for this backhoe to work or do I hook up to the PTO drive? I am hoping for a hydraulic system hook-up but when you said that this backhoe of your is too strong for 3-points, what did you mean? Can you clarify?

Thanks!

By the way, it looks so great and liked your work regardless of what many opinions about how it is welded..

/ Home made Backhoe #46  
I am also interested in the 3-point question.
Unfortunately it looks as if Vicashoe the starter of this thread never came back here! :(

/ Home made Backhoe #47  
Hi All,
The Vicashoe is a modified 708 model from CadPlans Corporation - Where you can find designs, tips and order information to build your own backhoes, diggers and MORE!
There are a couple of other plan suppliers
Backhoe Plans: Build a backhoe, these plans show how. CDP backhoe > manufacturer of backhoes & thumb kits
Backhoe, Backhoe plans, Build a Backhoe, CAD plans - welcome to Backhoeplans.com

cdp probably have best digging geometry BUT use a rare cyl size mainly available from Princess Auto, Canada. Sells basic plan cheaper under name oldriga on ebay sometimes.

Cadplans easier to build & use more commonly available cyl size (closed length
pin centre to pin centre) available Northerntool etc, so costs lower, wish I had gone cadplans as in uk - might go half share in cost to get a copy. Have found good sources of valve block, pumps, motors, uk but not yet cyls (rams)
Have a friend who has dug up old expired patents re. 180 swing & cracked them matematically to use std cyls.
New to tractor by net, just joined to help out with plan source, will check out if site allows email or PMs between members, if so I am happy to help
Richard

/ Home made Backhoe #48  
I went to a backhoe thread and a welding thread broke out.

Politics, Religion and Welding. Three subjects to avoid at ALL costs.

:p

/ Home made Backhoe #49  
Richard61,
Thanks for posting those links, and welcome to TBN.
David from jax

/ Home made Backhoe
This cracks me up when I hear it. Your family car along with every piece of modern machinery including all the new tractors and heavy machinery coming out today are welded with guess what.... CNC MIG.

I will have to repeat this hoe was stick welded with 7018 rods not MIG welded. Sorry it took so long to reply