Homemade 2 shank subsoiler

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler #21  
If this is an Olive orchard will there be roots to contend with? Amazing how strong a small root is when anchored in the ground.

As points for power requirements,
In the fall I run a 9 shank disk ripper and in areas where we haul a lot of loads try to get it down 14 - 16 inches deep. Frequently limited by traction. 480 HP 4WD drive estimate weight at 45,000 lbs. Never ever get that deep on first pass.

Neighbor has 5 shank subsoiler on 300 HP FWA tractor and he spins out trying to go 16-18” deep on packed headlands.

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler
If this is an Olive orchard will there be roots to contend with? Amazing how strong a small root is when anchored in the ground.

As points for power requirements,
In the fall I run a 9 shank disk ripper and in areas where we haul a lot of loads try to get it down 14 - 16 inches deep. Frequently limited by traction. 480 HP 4WD drive estimate weight at 45,000 lbs. Never ever get that deep on first pass.

Neighbor has 5 shank subsoiler on 300 HP FWA tractor and he spins out trying to go 16-18” deep on packed headlands.
No roots to worry about. The trees are still very small. I planted them in January.

A little bit hard to see my massive Olive trees, but they're there. :)

IMG_20230202_152740.jpg

Got some decent progress made today.

Got the rectangular tubing for the main frame cut and capped the ends. Welded the bars where the A frame will bolt on to. Also got both shanks welded on the frame with most of the gussets as well. May add some more gussets yet.

Next, I'll work on the lower pin brackets and possibly a stand for when it's off the tractor.

IMG_20230603_152718.jpg
IMG_20230603_155118.jpg
IMG_20230603_175018.jpg

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler #25  
Looking good! Can’t wait to see it in use!

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler #26  
I doubt you can pull one, much less two in clay. 3/4 thickness is plenty for up to 100 HP. We have big tractors and they are pawing and clawing with a sub soiler sunk 2' in clay, just one shank.
You beat me to it.
I have a single shank subsoiler and when I start putting it deeper I just get too much wheel spin. A double would leave me stationary just spinning my wheels.
My kritter has north of 60hp and double the weight.

As I said before, I don't really need to go full depth.

After all the cuts and angles, my shanks ended up being 520 mm (~20.5") long. My 3 pt arms stop about 120 mm (~4.5") from the ground. So that leaves me about 400 mm (15"-ish) of actual depth.

Will I use the 15"? Probably not. Maybe 10" at most but never really used one so we will see.

Hopefully I can test it sometime this week.

This would probably be a great attachment to go with the 28 HP and 35hp crawlers I used to have.

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler #28  
You beat me to it.
I have a single shank subsoiler and when I start putting it deeper I just get too much wheel spin. A double would leave me stationary just spinning my wheels.
My kritter has north of 60hp and double the weight.
I'm not trying to rain on his parade, or steal his thunder. I'm just talking from experience, seems you have had the same experience.

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler #29  
I think you are doing real good with what you have to work with, I have a single bottom plow I will try to make work pretty soon, same end plan

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler #30  
I think you are doing real good with what you have to work with, I have a single bottom plow I will try to make work pretty soon, same end plan
My kritter can pull a 3 furrow with the mold boards buried no problem. There's something about the way a ripper engages the soil that just eats hp.
Impressed by the construction though.