Homemade 2 shank subsoiler

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler #1  

ptsg

Tractor
Branson F36Rn - Agria 8900D
I'm starting a new build project. This time I'm building a two shank subsoiler to loosen up some very hard and compact clay so I can then use the tiller without beating it to death.

As with many of my projects, I'm building it mostly out of what I already have in hand, so some design choices may not make much sense for some. Specially with the current prices on not only steel but just about everything.

While 3 shanks would be ideal, I'm sticking with 2 shanks because that's all the material I have. Shanks will be built out of 1 1/4" plate and should have a working depth of 21", although I'm not sure I'll be able to go that deep in this clay.

Now, I'm looking for some insight from anyone that has used a subsoiler before. I'm not sure on the spacing between the shanks. My tractor has 44" track with. I'm not sure whether I put the shanks in line with the rear tires or slightly narrower. So if anyone as any insight on that, I would be very thankful.

Anyways, here is the beginning of the project. Somewhere in that plate, there are two subsoiler shanks and some quality time with the 7" angle grinder.

IMG_20230531_175105.jpg

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler #2  
I realize you probably don’t have enough steel but a parabolic shaped shank will lift and shatter the soil better than the shape you have drawn. Either will take some power going deep. I believe allow around 40 - 50 HP per shank and you will need heavy tractor to tie the power to the ground.

Seems like standard spacing on most subsoilers is 30” but that may be based on corn rows being 30” centers.

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler
I'll be angling the entire shank slightly forward, around 15 degrees or so. I would expect that to help a little bit instead of a straight shank plowing through.

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler #4  
Looking forward to seeing the results. I can’t remember exactly what ours were on the farm but I would be somewhere around 30 to 36 inch spacing. Pulling a subsoiler takes some power and doubt 3 shanks would be manageable with the size tractors we are running. Glad you are sticking with 2.

Looking forward to seeing the results. I can’t remember exactly what ours were on the farm but I would be somewhere around 30 to 36 inch spacing. Pulling a subsoiler takes some power and doubt 3 shanks would be manageable with the size tractors we are running. Glad you are sticking with 2.
At first I was thinking I would use a wider spacing but based on the feedback here, I'm now shooting for around 32". This should put the shank right at the inside edge of the tractor.

I agree 3 would probably be too much. Even 2 might be, at least at full depth. We will see. I don't mind doing two passes if needed, then offset half of the spacing and repeat.

I should've have added that my shanks will be welded in place, so I won't be able to adjust the spacing like most units sold.

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler #6  
At first I was thinking I would use a wider spacing but based on the feedback here, I'm now shooting for around 32". This should put the shank right at the inside edge of the tractor.

I agree 3 would probably be too much. Even 2 might be, at least at full depth. We will see. I don't mind doing two passes if needed, then offset half of the spacing and repeat.

I should've have added that my shanks will be welded in place, so I won't be able to adjust the spacing like most units sold.
I like that plan. That would make it easier to line up for a second pass in the hard stuff.

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler #7  
Are you subsoiling this to plant on top of the subsoiler furrows? If so what are you planting with? That spacing will determine the spacing of your contraption.

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler #8  
I’d consider purchasing a Milwaukee porta-band and some of their thick steel blades. A grinder with cutoff wheels is gonna be messy!!

The band saw may not cut all of it.
A 5ish inch capacity is what they have. I’ve made relief cuts every 4-5” and ripped 12” plate to about 4”.

Are you subsoiling this to plant on top of the subsoiler furrows? If so what are you planting with? That spacing will determine the spacing of your contraption.
Won't be planting. This will be used to loosen up the soil on the olive tree plantation. Then run the tiller after.

I will be use it the same way for a small plot for all kinds of vegetables. This year I only used the tiller which left a very hard layer at max tiller depth.

I’d consider purchasing a Milwaukee porta-band and some of their thick steel blades. A grinder with cutoff wheels is gonna be messy!!

The band saw may not cut all of it.
A 5ish inch capacity is what they have. I’ve made relief cuts every 4-5” and ripped 12” plate to about 4”.
So far I have one shank cut with only one 7" cutting disc. I expect another disc for the bigger cuts on the other shank and for the small pieces, I think I can take care of those on my old power hacksaw.