Homemade 2 shank subsoiler

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler #11  
I’ve got a single shank Subsoiler.
Ripped up some ground for a strawberry patch. I did increasing depth passes with my L2501. Neighbor tilled it, I did another pass after that, he tilled again a week later. Probably did 3-4 passes inside the tiller width in each direction. The ground heaved a good 4”!

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler #12  
So far I have one shank cut with only one 7" cutting disc. I expect another disc for the bigger cuts on the other shank and for the small pieces, I think I can take care of those on my old power hacksaw.
You need a plasma cutter. If you can afford it. My lord they're fast. Need to use a template for smooth results, if you do hardly need to use a grinder.

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler
You need a plasma cutter. If you can afford it. My lord they're fast. Need to use a template for smooth results, if you do hardly need to use a grinder.
I have one of those cheap (<€150) ones. It saved me so much time and allowed for a much nicer shapes on my homemade loader but it's only good up to 10 mm or so.

I would like one of those serious 3 phase units but that's way out of my budget.

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler #14  
I'm starting a new build project. This time I'm building a two shank subsoiler to loosen up some very hard and compact clay so I can then use the tiller without beating it to death.

As with many of my projects, I'm building it mostly out of what I already have in hand, so some design choices may not make much sense for some. Specially with the current prices on not only steel but just about everything.

While 3 shanks would be ideal, I'm sticking with 2 shanks because that's all the material I have. Shanks will be built out of 1 1/4" plate and should have a working depth of 21", although I'm not sure I'll be able to go that deep in this clay.

Now, I'm looking for some insight from anyone that has used a subsoiler before. I'm not sure on the spacing between the shanks. My tractor has 44" track with. I'm not sure whether I put the shanks in line with the rear tires or slightly narrower. So if anyone as any insight on that, I would be very thankful.

Anyways, here is the beginning of the project. Somewhere in that plate, there are two subsoiler shanks and some quality time with the 7" angle grinder.

View attachment 803311
I doubt you can pull one, much less two in clay. 3/4 thickness is plenty for up to 100 HP. We have big tractors and they are pawing and clawing with a sub soiler sunk 2' in clay, just one shank.

I doubt you can pull one, much less two in clay. 3/4 thickness is plenty for up to 100 HP. We have big tractors and they are pawing and clawing with a sub soiler sunk 2' in clay, just one shank.
We will see what it does. I really don't mine doing multiple passes if needed. To be honest, I don't even need full depth. I'm mostly maximizing the use of the plate I have, but I'll for sure try full depth.

Here is a Mitsubishi MT36, same HP, size, just slightly lighter than mine pulling a single shank full depth. 20 to 21" deep.

Last edited:
   / Homemade 2 shank subsoiler #16  
We will see what it does. I really don't mine doing multiple passes if needed. To be honest, I don't even need full depth. I'm mostly maximizing the use of the plate I have, but I'll for sure try full depth.

Here is a Mitsubishi MT36, same HP, size, just slightly lighter than mine pulling a single shank full depth. 20 to 21" deep.

Other thing, go slowly. When you pull up on it just a little, it'll give more traction to your tires, ease it back down. Maybe pull it up an inch going slow. Are you putting a hard foot on it? You could put a piece of blade on bottom for a foot. Old trackhoe or backhoe tooth. Need something at bottom kinda angled down so it will dig in initially. Nothing nicer than a plow that skips along on top of the ground.

Other thing, go slowly. When you pull up on it just a little, it'll give more traction to your tires, ease it back down. Maybe pull it up an inch going slow. Are you putting a hard foot on it? You could put a piece of blade on bottom for a foot. Old trackhoe or backhoe tooth. Need something at bottom kinda angled down so it will dig in initially. Nothing nicer than a plow that skips along on top of the ground.
Thanks for the tips. Yes I'll go slow, specially considering I've found some big boulders when I dug the entrance ramp for this piece of land.

I want to put something on the tip of the shanks, yes. I was thinking getting the points from a cultivator, probably weld it in place in a way that makes it easier to remove.

Something like this, unless I find a good source a bucket teeth. That's probably the strongest.

1685641677912.png

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler #18  
I have one of those cheap (<€150) ones. It saved me so much time and allowed for a much nicer shapes on my homemade loader but it's only good up to 10 mm or so.

I would like one of those serious 3 phase units but that's way out of my budget.
I bought a PP51 a 50A unit from Mark at Everlast. They're an advertiser here.
Got mine on their black friday sale for <$600. Great service and the welder and cutter really work.
"You can call me any time at (877) 755-WELD (9353) ext 204 or by e-mail at performance@everlastwelders.com."

Made a little bit more progress today.

Got both shanks cut from that plate showed before, cut the remaining bits on the power hacksaw. Cleaned the edges a little bit and it's ready to weld on the frame.

Also machined both lower pins and got the A frame for the top link ready as well. The A frame came from my tiller, as I was using it ever since I converted the tiller to hydraulic side shift.

IMG_20230601_152314.jpg
IMG_20230601_164611.jpg
IMG_20230601_183410.jpg
IMG_20230601_163507.jpg

/ Homemade 2 shank subsoiler #20  
Thanks for the tips. Yes I'll go slow, specially considering I've found some big boulders when I dug the entrance ramp for this piece of land.

I want to put something on the tip of the shanks, yes. I was thinking getting the points from a cultivator, probably weld it in place in a way that makes it easier to remove.

Something like this, unless I find a good source a bucket teeth. That's probably the strongest.

View attachment 803491
That'll work. Angle the tip down just a little so it will dig. Maybe no more than ten degrees. You can always cut it loose and turn it around later.