horse etiquette

/ horse etiquette #183  
It was a public road, but now it’s a private road. So, who owns the road? Did deeds change?
Is this a case where the municipality abandoned the road and its maintenance, but it’s still a public right of way?
I bet if something happened on the road due to negligence, all of a sudden people would be “No, it’s not my road, we don’t own it.”
There’s a lot of old roads around here that are that way. Owner can put up a gate, but can’t lock it. Although nobody really pays attention to the laws

Last edited:
   / horse etiquette #184  
I had horses while raising my kids (the girl's horses, boys did not care) and had/have cattle now and then . . . they would leave crap on "my" road too, only it was my girls and or their cousins/friends fault . . . I would just drive over it.

on edit . . . I hate horses always have . . . :ROFLMAO:

/ horse etiquette #185  
Hah. I learned one thing early on about horses; if you aren't the boss, then they are. Somehow I was never able to be the boss, so I gave up on them. They are pretty to look at for the most part, and some people dote on them (Sharn Jean is one of those), but they are not for me. Same with motorcycles. Never could master one.

When we first moved into our present community, the local newspaper used to regularly reprint editions from 100 years ago. They were quite entertaining; lots of gossip and personal stories, but one thing I remember, is that there were lots of stories about folks in the community being killed or seriously injured by horses.

/ horse etiquette #186  
Lots of work involved with horses and $$$$$$, I made sure the girls took care of "most" of the work . . . I took care of the $$$$$$ part.

/ horse etiquette #187  
It seems like much doo-doo about nothing. In a neighborhood of $100,000 vehicles and a majority of the homeowners upset about road apples it would be easy to put up an remotely controlled automatic gate system that should end all whining. The other solution, talk to the offending neighbor.

It seems the op is a bit of a drama king. Complaints about horse crap on the road getting in the wheel wells, then complaints about horse crap getting into his house. (does he drive his car in the living room?) The hyperbole might be somewhat valid if he is driving through a stable yard, or the 7th Cavalry is riding up his road on a daily basis, or the horses all drop strangely moist and liquid apples, but it seems its a few horses a few times a week at most. I get it, the road apples are unsightly. I am wondering why a gate hasn't already been installed to keep undesirables out. Perhaps another poster is correct, they can't limit access to public equestrian trails.

Last edited:
   / horse etiquette #188  
As New England has lots of interesting history, and many laws that go back a long time, I would observe that what might be permitted in a reportedly jointly owned, formerly public roadway applied to animals that were the rule of the roadway for a couple of centuries has the possibility of being complicated. I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV...

/ horse etiquette #189  
As New England has lots of interesting history, and many laws that go back a long time, I would observe that what might be permitted in a reportedly jointly owned, formerly public roadway applied to animals that were the rule of the roadway for a couple of centuries has the possibility of being complicated. I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV...
Yes, there are many laws on the books still out this way about horses/animals that predate any car/truck.

/ horse etiquette #190  
The funny thing about horses when you're on a trail ride, when you stop and one pee's, they all pee. It's like power of suggestion or something.