House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system.

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system. #31  
Something else to consider. When we had a big freeze, and over a foot of snow back in Feb or March, we lost power for a week, but so did the gas stations. I always assumed that they had generators, but they don't. At least none of them in my are do.

The power company was turning the power on for 20 minutes at a time, every day. It wasn't predicable when it would happen, so on the 3rd day, when the power came on, I raced to the closest gas station, filled up 2 five gallon gas cans, and by the time I got home, the power was back off again.

That lasted us the rest of the week, when power came back on. If my gas station was farther then 2 minutes away, I'm not sure I would have been able to get gas in that small of a window. If you have to fuel your generator with gas or diesel, how much will you have on hand, and can you get more if you have to? I'm hoping Natural Gas will last a lot longer then buying fuel and storing it, which is why I would only buy a Natural Gas Generator.
I went with dual fuel for this very reason and can get by for a few days with 2, 40 lb tanks. Most times, we have a warning but in May, the entire southeast was thrown into chaos with most gas stations shutting down. It lasted about 2 weeks.

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system. #32  
We are putting in a Generac whole house. 1) we used to live in Waukesha, home of Generac. 2) Even at 8-12k, when we view it over its useful life, it is well worth it for peace of mind 3) God willing we have about 25-30 years, maybe more on the property. 4) Propane tank will be in place for the cook top and water heater anyway. 5) power lines are seldom buried around here, so the need is likely. 6) The size is all that is up for debate, like with tractors, I'd rather have a little too much than much too little

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system. #33  
Fuel... my service van has 36 gallon tank and 31 years ago I installed an aux electric fuel pump with coiled hose.

Tired of the smell of fuel inside and it has worked flawless as a mobile refueling station...

Just a though... and no worries about going stale.

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system. #34  
Years ago I started out with a 3500 Craftsman generator to supply the necessary items with a suicide plug (after turning off the main and high load breakers). When we built our new house, “upgraded” to a 8000 Preditor and properly wired in a receptacle on its own breaker which remained off except when connecting the gen and turning off the main. It handled all the items I needed for survival.

Then about 8 years ago I installed an 8kW Generac with a 10 circuit auto transfer switch. The 10 circuits handle basic lighting, refrigeration/freezer, cooktop (but no oven), propane FAU and swamp cooler. No well onsite, or power for refrigerated A/C.

With power out now everything I need for survival is back on in 15 seconds.

If it the time of the year when we have monsoons and the swamp is ineffective, I wired in a plug to the outdoor A/C condenser that I can run with the portable if necessary. I pull the fuses at the A/C disconnect so that it doesn’t back feed. The FAU is powered by the standby and will work.

Now the problem. After 16 years we are “upgrading” to mini splits throughout the house. Propane out here in the desert is ridiculously expensive ($3.50/Gal year round, so electric makes more sense. I also have solar and my total bill for electric last year was $165 for usage (excluding about $12/month minimum connection charges)

I’m keeping the existing propane HVAC installed as a backup for extended outages.

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system. #35  
With the prep work already done I would bite the bullet and finish up with the 24kw Generac and be done with it.
I went the portable route with a manual transfer, recently upgraded to a whole house (mostly) 15kw PTO generator. It was a real drag managing gasoline storage for the portable over the years.

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system. #36  
For a whole house generator, I went with a pto generator too, it has worked out very well, with plenty of clean power...

BUT, It has to be a looong outage before I use it, as my little Honda inverter genset is plenty of power to take care of any "needed" electrical needs, and will run hours on a gallon of gas.

My pto generator is used more for plugging my welder into it, when away from the shop, and it's really nice to be able to have lights, and side grinder going right along with the welder...

SR

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system. #37  
The good Honda 2000 generator operates from 48-57 decibels. The Generac 24kw unit is 58-63. I consider 55 the sweet spot, below is quiet and over is where I would plan it’s placement carefully.

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system. #38  
I'm still a long ways away from committing to anything, but my thinking is that I'm only going to buy the minimum that I need to survive comfortably, but not worry about powering everything. I also have two 200 amp panels that are on different sides of my house. Natural gas is available, but not connected to my house yet.

Number one for me is going with a super reliable brand. I don't believe Honda make a natural gas generator, so I'll have to find something of that caliber.

For the last 7 years, I've managed with a small Honda 2200 generator. It powers the TV, the internet, a few lights and charges our phones. It's not enough to power the heaters in the water tanks for our livestock, and that's really what I'm needing more then anything else.

If it gives you an idea. I have 2 -200 amp boxes .
I have an old (probably 20 yr old) 5500/8500 watt portable generac / B&S engine generator that powers everything I need except elec A/C / heat. It even keeps my 2 stock tank heaters going, three refrigerators and one freezer. When I need it, one eye on elect range.

I do have NG in the home for WH and gas logs, so heat isn't an issue.
Only issue would be is keeping enough gasoline on hand, but I keep about 30 gallons here for various things, so it never goes bad.

The generator will run probably 8-10 hrs on one tank full of fuel.

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system.
Those generac 200 amp switches are about $700 each…since there already installed, and if wires are already run to generator location. Your only looking at the cost of generator and about 4 hours labor. How can they possibly charge you 8 grand.
Good question. $5200 for the generator and the rest is labor. I don't really have a lot of Generac installers in my area.

/ House generator questions...second thoughts on whole house system. #40  
I'm still a long ways away from committing to anything, but my thinking is that I'm only going to buy the minimum that I need to survive comfortably, but not worry about powering everything. I also have two 200 amp panels that are on different sides of my house. Natural gas is available, but not connected to my house yet.

Number one for me is going with a super reliable brand. I don't believe Honda make a natural gas generator, so I'll have to find something of that caliber.

For the last 7 years, I've managed with a small Honda 2200 generator. It powers the TV, the internet, a few lights and charges our phones. It's not enough to power the heaters in the water tanks for our livestock, and that's really what I'm needing more then anything else. The house is heated with wood.

My thinking is that I'll run lines through my walls to where I need power from the generator, and install outlets that are only good when the generator is on. When I lose power, I'll just plug into those outlets. Kind of a cleaner approach then the extension cords that I use now. I plan to somehow label or mark, or do something to show that they are for the generator in case I'm not home if we lose power, or somebody doesn't try to use them when the power is on. To me, this should be pretty basic.

The advantage to a portable generator is the cost, and ease of replacing it if I need to.

Before I buy, I'll do a load chart to figure out what I absolutely need to power, and then decide on the generator after that. Until then, we've done pretty good off of the little Honda.
I recently installed a generator transfer switch/sub panel combination. I did the work myself and had it inspected. So the work done is safe and meets or exceeds code. It was easy. The transfer switch is connected to a box mounted on the outside wall that has the plug in for my portable generator. It was easy to do the job because the transfer switch is located right next to my breaker panel.
If you have the confidence and skill to run several lines to several walls and then penetrate these several outside walls to receptacles you are then going to need to install then you certainly have the skill to add a transfer switch. And if there is room to add a transfer switch/sub panel combo anywhere within 10 feet or do of your existing main panel then I suggest you do so.
I can tell you how I did mine and all the advantages if you are interested.
Eric