How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt?

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #1  

future_vision

Gold Member
Tractor
DK6010SE HSA
I need to push some fairly large rocks around. I've was able to push many of them with a 70 hp mini excavator with a blade but I am wondering what I can do with a 60 hp tractor. I'm guessing the weight of the equipment and it being able to maintain traction is probably part of the equation.

Throwing this in as a reference
1655829366956.png

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #2  
The hp makes very little difference other than the speed you’re able to push them. If the 60 hp tractor has the same size tires, same style tires and the same weight it would push the same. If the 70 hp tractor was 15 percent heavier it will push pretty close to 15 percent harder.

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #3  
All depends on how much damage you’re willing to do to the tractor.

If you have equipment to rig it, you can pull a much larger boulder than you could push.

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #4  
...and you can roll one you can't slide.

Bruce

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt?
The hp makes very little difference other than the speed you’re able to push them. If the 60 hp tractor has the same size tires, same style tires and the same weight it would push the same. If the 70 hp tractor was 15 percent heavier it will push pretty close to 15 percent harder.
It was a 70 hp 18K lb mini excavator not a tractor so the weight difference is pretty substantial.

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt?
All depends on how much damage you’re willing to do to the tractor.

If you have equipment to rig it, you can pull a much larger boulder than you could push.
Pulling could be an option but I would need to figure out what I need to make that happen. I was even considering forgetting about using the tractor and just rigging up one of those 12K lb Harbor Freight winches to a tree. Or maybe the back of the tractor?

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #8  
rigging up one of those 12K lb Harbor Freight winches
Be prepared to spend a LOT of time if you do this. The duty cycle on those winches is 10%. (That's 6 minutes per hour of full load operation)

If the winch is an option just rig it with a snatch block or two and move it with the tractor or excavator. Make one machine the anchor and use the other to pull with. As you run out of cable simply move the anchor machine back and make another pull.

Can you get them up on a stone boat? The smooth bottom makes it far easier to move than the rock on bare ground.

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #9  
I need to push some fairly large rocks around. I've was able to push many of them with a 70 hp mini excavator with a blade but I am wondering what I can do with a 60 hp tractor. I'm guessing the weight of the equipment and it being able to maintain traction is probably part of the equation.

Throwing this in as a reference
View attachment 750989

OK. I'll give an opinion. At least give a place to start & with some caveats.. Judging by your chart and what I've had to do with the similar size rocks on our place. And using our tractor which is a 60 hp, 8000 lb tractor with R4 industrial tires on mostly sand and granite soil - no clay. and using the loader bucket to push with and sometimes flip them....And assuming this is all on level ground. You can't slide much weight up even a slight incline.

I'd say you will be able to slide and skid the 3000 and under pounders around - especially if you can get the lip of the loader under an edge, but once you get to the 4000 pounders it won't be worth the hassle....if you can do it at all. Somewhere in that range is where I give up on moving them. With the backhoe I can flip a boulder over even if it won't slide.

rScotty

/ How big of a rock/boulder can a 60 HP tractor push on relatively flat dirt? #10  
You can roll some massive ones. Lifting them is harder. I think rolling with the loader would be more effective than trying to drag them.

For reference my machine is 50 hp, probably about 9K pounds (without the rock). I can lift them up to about 4K pounds I think. Not very high though. I can roll some that are substantially larger than what I can lift.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 947.png
    ScreenHunter 947.png
    815.2 KB · Views: 261