How do you build a gravel driveway?

/ How do you build a gravel driveway? #11  
If you have it crowned, and the base is pretty solid, I'd simply add 2" to 3" of crushed stone. Nothing fancy - simply crushed stone, unwashed, about 3/4" to 1' in size.

/ How do you build a gravel driveway? #12  
As far as the driveway goes, the information I am providing is what the construction crew did when they built my house. I had them put in the driveway as well.
1. How much topsoil should be removed?
They cut off all of the top soil and eventually used it around the house.
2. Do I need a weed blocker? What kind?
They didn't put any weed blocker down. I either spot spray the areas or else get a 5 gallon bucket and pull the weeds. Usually there aren't that many but my driveway is only a little over 200 feet long.
3. What size stone should be used as a base?
They used black shale which makes an excellent base and is a less expensive than stone. I can get a tandem of shale for about $80 as opposed to over $200 for a tandem of stone. Shale looks like slate and comes in large flat pieces but breaks easily and compacts really well.
4. What size stone should be used on top of the base?
They put crusher run on top of the shale. It packs really well too. After about 3 years my gravel drive way is packed down so much that it looks like asphalt in places. The downside to crusher run is that it tracks in the house very easily.
5. When calculating how much stone you need, how do you convert cubic yards into tons?
can't really compute that as you are comparing weight and volume. Different types of stone and moisture content will adversely affect the ratios.
6. Do you build the crown before you lay down the stone or after?
My crown sort of built itself in from all of the heavy trucks going in and out. They had a slight crown but the trucks really made it pronounced.
7. What is the best tractor implement to maintain a driveway?
I have tried using a grader blade in the forward and reverse positions, box blade, landscape rake, steel roller, front end loader and lastly a railroad tie acting as a drag. The railroad tie did the best job and cost the least!!!!
Good luck

/ How do you build a gravel driveway? #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( % grade or worse for about 100 feet and was wondering what would be the best thing to hold this hill. It has been a driveway for some time now but does wash pretty bad )</font>

Employ some drainage control. Obviously you are getting water where you don't want it. Direct that water down a side ditch.. or under thru a culvert. Look where the water is coming from.. and plan for that.

Soundguy

/ How do you build a gravel driveway? #14  
A simple way to calculate yards needed, is to take the length in feet x the width in feet x how deep in inches divided by 325 example:a 12 foot wide by 1000 feet long driveway 5 inches thick......12x1000=12000x5inches=60,000divided by 325=184.62 yards works every time,accurate too.hope that helps!

/ How do you build a gravel driveway? #15  
I'm sure his driveway was done... been 6 years :thumbsup:.

/ How do you build a gravel driveway? #16  
Everyone has offered sound advice. But one thing remains constant, and that is if you have enough heavy rain in a relatively short period of time, there will be some washout forming ruts. Of course this will largely depend on the grade and how steep the driveway is, but water is a powerful force of nature. Drainage preparation surely prevents most of this problem from occurring. I usually take my tractor using the FEL to repair the ruts. At least that has been my experience and I did not intend to step on anyone's toes or contradict any previous post. I just wanted to include this possibility in regards to overall longterm maintenance. Thanks. Good Luck.:):tractor:

/ How do you build a gravel driveway? #17  
My drive is 2/10 mile and steep. I have cut several ditches across the drive to channel water off to the side. No matter what design you use, hard rains will eventually wash ruts in the driveway. Every year or so I have a local contractor tailgate what we call "Dirty Crusher Run" stone on the drive. Several years ago I bought a Ratchet Rake and that is the best tool I have found to grade and level a gravel driveway. Google "Ratchet Rake" and watch the video, the thing really works on both the driveway and for removing grass and brush.

/ How do you build a gravel driveway? #18  
I have no tractor yet, and am actually a "city boy". I have inherited 20 acres of land in east Texas. There is currently a driveway going up a hill. I am wondering if anyone coud give me some guidance on bringing it into better condition. An image of the driveway can be found here.

Thanks!

/ How do you build a gravel driveway? #20  
I'm not sure but am guessing about 1/4 mile.

Here is another picture from a different angle if it will help.