How do you store you logging/tow chain?

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #241  
If you look around there are some industrial sized/lenght stainless steel hose clamps that would hold the PVC to the posts and the tightening assembly could be hid behind the posts. No drilling required....

You can also get super duty zip ties that would likely work. I use them for securing things that really should be bolted or clamped and they have held up surprisingly well. I'm not sure where I got the last ones but I think it was at Home Depot or Lowes. USA made. Maybe they might work?

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #242  
Thomas,

Here's an idea; below your FEL post you have a hole that runs under your tractor, below where I had attached my PVC pipe. Could you use that to store your logging chain? You may even be able to use the same red caps I used to keep the chain contained. You wouldn't have to drill any holes, or figure out how to attach something new.

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #243  
Had to build another chain holder for the new tractor, really liked the PVC tube so that's what I did again.

Attachments

• image-2801210030.jpg
    image-2801210030.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 859
   / How do you store you logging/tow chain? #244  
Speaking of chains,

image-3215504403.jpg

I wanted to show off what I found at my local scrap iron place. At 20 cents a pound I got for less than $10. So I think I stole it. It has a metal tag on it that I can't read. I guess it belonged to a crane company or something like that and they took it out of service.

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #246  
Speaking of chains,

View attachment 414845

I wanted to show off what I found at my local scrap iron place. At 20 cents a pound I got for less than $10. So I think I stole it. It has a metal tag on it that I can't read. I guess it belonged to a crane company or something like that and they took it out of service.

I picked some chain from a commercial operation like that years ago and it turned out to be some sort of super strength alloy. Yeah, you stole it for 20 cents a pound.

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #247  
Had to build another chain holder for the new tractor, really liked the PVC tube so that's what I did again.

Looks very nice. I really like your location and the design for the bracket. Will you leave the tube open at the top? What schedule pvc did you use? Are you concerned about the jostling of the chain eventually setting up fractures in the plastic at the bottom of tube and the bolt attachment points?

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #248  
Thanks, I wanted it out of they way yet easily accessible. I used schedule 40 and drilled a 1/2" hole in the very bottom of the cap so water can drain out if any gets in. I used two 1/4" - 20 bolts with fender washers that I bent to conform to the inside of the pipe and the unistrut supports the back of the PVC really well. The top will stay open so I can hang the hooks on the lip of the tube. Here is one I built last summer for my Kubota. Its one of those things once you do you wonder why you didn't do it when you bought the tractor. :)

Attachments

• image-3587289234.jpg
    image-3587289234.jpg
    488.2 KB · Views: 632
   / How do you store you logging/tow chain? #249  
I welded some pieces of steel on top of the screen guard with notches, the chain rest in that. The hooks are on two ten inch, 5/8" dia. rods on both sides of the winch frame, not the best way but the chains never fall off, and you can here the chains go Jing-a-ling, Jing-a-ling, all the way through the woods.

/ How do you store you logging/tow chain? #250  
I welded some pieces of steel on top of the screen guard with notches, the chain rest in that. The hooks are on two ten inch, 5/8" dia. rods on both sides of the winch frame, not the best way but the chains never fall off, and you can here the chains go Jing-a-ling, Jing-a-ling, all the way through the woods.