how do you store your welding rods (7018)

/ how do you store your welding rods (7018) #11  
I keep my low hydrogen welding rod in a rod oven. Other rods, and low hydrogen rod that hasn't been opened yet on the bench.
I have the same rod oven-it holds 300# of rods if I wished to have that many. I only open one 50# can of each size (3/32 & 1/8 are all I stock) and keep the oven set at 250F. Likely doesn't cost me anything to run the oven since I have a minimum charge on that meter and unless I do a lot of welding, the usage doesn't exceed the minimum each month.
My spare unopened cans are upright on the floor by the rod oven. Phoenix ovens are available in 10# and 50# container sizes also and all are thermostat controlled and insulated so they will stay hot for several hours even when unplugged. I used to see the smaller sizes ones on Craigslist all the time for anywhere from $50-100 each.

/ how do you store your welding rods (7018) #12  
There are gasketed screw on top plastic cylinders that we used in the field on a daily basis. On large jobs with many welders we kept open 50# cans in the rod oven. I was on jobs where we used several hundred pounds of 7018 each day so there were always several open 50#ders at the end of the day. Our normal piping job welding procedure used only 6010 and 7018. Each welder had two of those cylinders one for each. They held about 10#. Unless it was raining we could get by about 2-3 days w/o heating. Wet 7018 can produce a lot of porosity due to steam escaping the puddle. Pipeline welders with rigs had a 12 volt hot box on their truck.

Ron, the old Pipefitter.
If you buy the LM (low moisture) 7018, they can be unheated for 12 hours without absorbing enough moisture to affect the welds. 2-3 days would be unacceptable in all Welding Procedure Specifications (WPS). Most WPS require that a heated container is used at all times to keep rods hot. Unless you have the LM spec'ed low hydrogen rods, they begin absorbing moisture as soon as they reach ambient temps and within 4 hours they have enough to affect the welds with porosity and hydrogen embrittlement issues.

By the way, rods that are continually left out to absorb moisture will eventually rust the core metal and then regardless of how it is heated or how hot you wont burn off the rust, the rust will cause porosity when the rod is burned. I would suggest that if you don't properly store your rods, then just break off the flux from one and see if the electrode is rusted.

Even if I am just welding on my farm equipment, I don't want bad welds, hence the cost and maintenance of the electric oven.

/ how do you store your welding rods (7018) #13  
I was the supervisor on the Chevron Long Wharf in Richmond California. The welders ran self shielded flux core wire. But the welder tacking the beams in place with the rigging crew used 7018. I had to have three rod ovens on site, and keep a log book of how much rod was taken out of the oven in the morning, how much rod was put back in the oven at noon, and how much rod was taken out of the rod oven after lunch, and how much rod was put back in the oven at night. :confused2::confused2:

Attachments

• Chevron Long Wharf.png
    Chevron Long Wharf.png
    463.2 KB · Views: 136
   / how do you store your welding rods (7018) #14  
I'm not a real welder like the more experienced members here. Plus I'm fairly new to 7018. I have a 50 pound capacity rod oven for "open pack" 7018's. Maybe it's just me, but I THINK I run better beads with a hot rod.

IMG_2001.JPG

My other open pack rods I just keep in the screw on top plastic tubes.

IMG_2002.JPG

Terry

/ how do you store your welding rods (7018) #16  
Terry I'm just a hobby welder myself!;) I agree 7018 does run better hot out of the oven.

Carl, I'll check back after you've had a few more years experience.

/ how do you store your welding rods (7018) #17  
I had to have three rod ovens on site, and keep a log book of how much rod was taken out of the oven in the morning, how much rod was put back in the oven at noon, and how much rod was taken out of the rod oven after lunch, and how much rod was put back in the oven at night. :confused2::confused2:
Not exactly a 'riveting' job! :D:laughing:

/ how do you store your welding rods (7018) #18  
Sometimes you can tell when 7018 has to much moisture or is bad, when all the rod/flux want's to do is finger nail.

/ how do you store your welding rods (7018) #19  
I put them in the back room were the furnace in keeps them warm no oven.

/ how do you store your welding rods (7018) #20  
i too have a small rod oven. also a nice way to warm my hands in winter :)images.jpg mines the same as this but only yellow colored.