How much can a 40hp tractor tow??

/ How much can a 40hp tractor tow?? #1  

IslandTractor

Super Star Member
Tractor
2007 Kioti DK40se HST, Woods BH
Can a 40hp tractor tow a 9000-10000lb boat/trailer up (and down) a 5-7% grade? Speed not an issue. Just moving a boat trailer to and from a boat ramp on rural dirt road. Mostly flat except for one hill.

/ How much can a 40hp tractor tow?? #2  
I'd be real careful going down and I wouldn't do it unless the trailer has brakes.

Last edited:
   / How much can a 40hp tractor tow?? #3  
Halfway down the hill your knee bumps the tractor into neutral when you look back. Can the tractor stop the trailer when going downhill? How about a trailer brake controller on the tractor?

Bruce

/ How much can a 40hp tractor tow?? #4  
Does the trailer have hydraulic surge brakes or electric brakes?

/ How much can a 40hp tractor tow?? #5  
That seems well within range to me. Even my wimpy Mule 600 is rated to tow that much.

Your Mule can tow 10,000 lbs on a 5-7% grade?

I need to see this.

/ How much can a 40hp tractor tow?? #6  
I'm not worried about stopping that small of a trailer. You wouldn't hesitate to go down that hill with a bucket full of gravel which weighs more than that.

Did you see all the zeros?

:)

Bruce

/ How much can a 40hp tractor tow?? #7  
Did we have some post editing? I could have sworn it said 900-1000 pounds. I'd be way more concerned about 9000-10,000 pounds.

/ How much can a 40hp tractor tow??
27ft boat displacement dry 6000lbs. Figure 1000lbs fuel, water, supplies and 2000lb tandem bunk trailer so 9000lbs or so.

Tractor has HST and would use low range up and down the 5-7% grade hill. Trailer has hydraulic surge brakes.

Doable???

/ How much can a 40hp tractor tow??
Did we have some post editing? I could have sworn it said 900-1000 pounds. I'd be way more concerned about 9000-10,000 pounds.
No editing but it is late!

/ How much can a 40hp tractor tow?? #10  
If you decided to do it use 4WD otherwise you don't have front brakes.