How to blade gravel without 3-point float?

/ How to blade gravel without 3-point float? #21  
To do grading you need a level base to work from.
What I have found successful is to grade in reverse taking minimal cuts.
In that way the tractor is on a level base so you don't have the 'rock and roll'.
I have spread truck loads of finish over fairly long distances that way.

For that 'hand raked like finish' I reverse my blade and drive forward a few times letting my blade simply float.
Also reversing with a slight angle on the FEL bucket in 'float' will leave that 'raked like' finish.

/ How to blade gravel without 3-point float? #22  
Gauge wheels behind a box blade or angle blade make it a more useful tool. A hydraulic top link is icing on the cake.

/ How to blade gravel without 3-point float?
Apologies for taking so long to reply.
I was wrong, the Massey 3-point arms do float like others. The attachments are just plenty heavy.
Lengthening the toplink for the blade did make a noticeable difference.
Switching back to the box-blade helped more.
Dragging the reversed blade to smooth will be my next try. I may have to end up buying some sort of drag.

I have concluded that my "gravel" is FAR too powdery. It doesn't have enough bulk/substance or something to get the attachments to float; they just dig.
Guess I need a few loads of good gravel.

2021-09-03_7-35-11.jpg

/ How to blade gravel without 3-point float? #24  
I have concluded that my "gravel" is FAR too powdery. It doesn't have enough bulk/substance or something to get the attachments to float; they just dig.
Guess I need a few loads of good gravel.
Yep, agreed. If it is an old driveway it probably needs a few inches of new gravel to use over the base you have. I'm glad to see the suggestions are working. Keep us posted please.

/ How to blade gravel without 3-point float? #26  
Back dragging with the bucket curled works well for loose powdery material.
Back dragging curled, a good habit to destroy the bucket cylinders!

/ How to blade gravel without 3-point float? #27  
With a box blade the top link adjustment is critical. When moving forward shorten the top link for the box blade to dig in; lengthen the top line for the box blade to "float". As the top link is lengthened the box blade tilts so that the rear edge is lower than the front edge and the rear edge slides over the surface. The front edge only cuts into anything sticking up. Start with a long tip link and the box blade tilted back and then decrease the top link length until the action is as desired.

When moving in reverse the top link length needs to be the opposite. Short for the box blade to float and long for it toe dig in.

For keeping a gravel drive smooth I prefer a "land plane" with several angled blades and the ability for gravel to flow over the top of the blades.

/ How to blade gravel without 3-point float? #28  
With a box blade the top link adjustment is critical. When moving forward shorten the top link for the box blade to dig in; lengthen the top line for the box blade to "float". As the top link is lengthened the box blade tilts so that the rear edge is lower than the front edge and the rear edge slides over the surface. The front edge only cuts into anything sticking up. Start with a long tip link and the box blade tilted back and then decrease the top link length until the action is as desired.

When moving in reverse the top link length needs to be the opposite. Short for the box blade to float and long for it toe dig in.

For keeping a gravel drive smooth I prefer a "land plane" with several angled blades and the ability for gravel to flow over the top of the blades.
Yep, I compare getting that angle right to using a butter knife; are you spreading butter or scraping it off? __)(__

/ How to blade gravel without 3-point float? #29  
Back dragging curled, a good habit to destroy the bucket cylinders!
I took it as curl meaning bucket cylinders are retracted and bucket bottom is flat on the ground or the edge is up some, not bucket is dumped all the way around with cylinders fully extended.

/ How to blade gravel without 3-point float? #30  
Hi have never heard of a 3 point without float. They all float. They have no down force other than the weight of the implement - definifion of float. You are dropping the lever all the way?

Hi have never heard of a 3 point without float. They all float. They have no down force other than the weight of the implement - definifion of float. You are dropping the lever all the way?
This is true on most tractors but I have a 50 yr. old Allis Chalmers that has power down on the 3 point arms.