How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #11  
You could also do something like this.

k9XZFjMl.jpg

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #12  
Tip the barrel either by hand or with the tractor bucket just enough to get a 1” square scrap wood under the barrel, approximately 1/3 of the way in. Position the bucket under the barrel as far as you can go. Strap or chain the barrel to the bucket to hold it in place. Lift it clear of the bed. Drive truck forward, then set it down. You could use 2x4, steel pipe, etc.

If its a one time operation , this what I would do.... No sense investing in a lot of implements and straps if its not going to be repeat work....

Last edited:
   / How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #13  
I get the impression the OP is looking for suggestions on how to do it with tools and implements on hand without having to buy something else. Forks, hay spears and other things are not mentioned, only the FEL bucket.

Slipping under the edge and strapping would work as long as the top is sealed.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #14  
Can you simply pump it into another barrel?

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #16  
When I was a much younger man and "strong like ox" I handled barrels of oil which I delivered to places with no loading dock. I carried a couple of used up car tires which I placed on the ground where the barrel would land. Tipped the barrel on its side and rolled it to the back of the box, climbed down and maneuvered the barrel till it was about to tip off the truck and then guided it down onto the tires which cushioned its descent enough that the barrel was not damaged nor was I in any danger. Once down, I let the barrel tip off the tires and then righted the barrel again. I said I was strong then. My guess is that any workplace safety official that saw it done today would "have a cow right now!!" Having said that, I never had an accident doing that. I would not want to try that today, almost sixty years later!!
Pretty much how we unloaded them from semi's when I was driving.
Note: just tires, NO RIMS.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #18  
When I was a much younger man and "strong like ox" I handled barrels of oil which I delivered to places with no loading dock. I carried a couple of used up car tires which I placed on the ground where the barrel would land. Tipped the barrel on its side and rolled it to the back of the box, climbed down and maneuvered the barrel till it was about to tip off the truck and then guided it down onto the tires which cushioned its descent enough that the barrel was not damaged nor was I in any danger. Once down, I let the barrel tip off the tires and then righted the barrel again. I said I was strong then. My guess is that any workplace safety official that saw it done today would "have a cow right now!!" Having said that, I never had an accident doing that. I would not want to try that today, almost sixty years later!!
Yep, that's how I used to do it. A couple 10.00X20 truck tires worked best for me. Of course, I was able to lay the barrel down and stand it back up then. Don't think I could do that any more.

Later I got a barrel clamp and used the JD310 to pick it up. That was much easier.

Attachments

• IMG_20210427_161224551 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20210427_161224551 (Custom).jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 135
   / How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #19  
I have a 55 gallon barrel of resin (500 lbs) that I need to get to the ground. I have an L3130 Kibota with a 6’ bucket. Any suggestions as to how to get down with tractor? Miller
You did not state plastic or steel drum. I would lay tho barrel on it's side move the loader bucket close to the back of the truck with the bucket tipped back as far as you can and roll the barrel into the bucket

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #20  
If you're tempted to walk it off the tailgate and onto an unsupported bucket set at the same height as the tailgate, think about when the barrel is mostly on the bucket and partially on the tailgate. The front loader tires will squish down somewhat under load, tilting the barrel and maybe grinding the tailgate edge.