How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #1  

Miller Putnam

Tractor
Kubota L3130
I have a 55 gallon barrel of resin (500 lbs) that I need to get to the ground. I have an L3130 Kibota with a 6’ bucket. Any suggestions as to how to get down with tractor? Miller

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #2  
Make bucket bottom lip level with tailgate and wrestle it on. You will probably have to tie something around the bucket to keep from tipping out.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #3  
Tip the barrel either by hand or with the tractor bucket just enough to get a 1” square scrap wood under the barrel, approximately 1/3 of the way in. Position the bucket under the barrel as far as you can go. Strap or chain the barrel to the bucket to hold it in place. Lift it clear of the bed. Drive truck forward, then set it down. You could use 2x4, steel pipe, etc.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #4  
I have a 55 gallon barrel of resin (500 lbs) that I need to get to the ground. I have an L3130 Kibota with a 6’ bucket. Any suggestions as to how to get down with tractor? Miller
When I was a much younger man and "strong like ox" I handled barrels of oil which I delivered to places with no loading dock. I carried a couple of used up car tires which I placed on the ground where the barrel would land. Tipped the barrel on its side and rolled it to the back of the box, climbed down and maneuvered the barrel till it was about to tip off the truck and then guided it down onto the tires which cushioned its descent enough that the barrel was not damaged nor was I in any danger. Once down, I let the barrel tip off the tires and then righted the barrel again. I said I was strong then. My guess is that any workplace safety official that saw it done today would "have a cow right now!!" Having said that, I never had an accident doing that. I would not want to try that today, almost sixty years later!!

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #5  
Make bucket bottom lip level with tailgate and wrestle it on. You will probably have to tie something around the bucket to keep from tipping out.
If the barrel wasn't on a pallet, that is how I would do it. If it was on a pallet, then easy peasy just use your forks to lift it up and set it on the ground. But barring that a ratchet strap or two back to the torque tube would keep the barrel in the bucket to let it down onto the ground or wherever you wanted it.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #6  
I have a 55 gallon barrel of resin
What kind of resin? How fluid? Like oil, or thick like tar? Will it slosh or splash easily? How is it sealed?

All leading up to, does it have to remain upright and level, or can it be tipped, and how far?

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #7  
I have one similar to this from HF. But mine was about $30. Works great.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #8  
Ratchet strap to inch it forwards, or a come-along; in either case, strap or rope positioned near the bottom of the barrel so that it doesn't tip, and gradually scootch it onto the bucket. Then, strap it good to the bucket. Getting it out of the bucket is an exercise left to the reader.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #9  
Barrel/drum clamps. I use them to unload 2 drums of 100% gasoline when I have to fill up. I hate 5 and 6 gallon safety cans.

/ How to move a 55 gallon barrel (500lbs) from my truck bed. #10  
Google barrel lifting clamps. There are multiple types for whatever your needs are. I have a set of the older pinch clamps but there are some slick newer styles.