How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump
Interesting that he could see the packer and that it still had an attached cable, but he didn't think they could pull it.
Well Packers to seal water well to hard rock
They should be able to easily pull the packer.
Then from what I read in the earlier post the section of the pitless adapter thats inside the well casing should still be on your pipe which should give them a good point to get a pull loop on.
I'm surprised at the rep's lack of confidence in their people, unless he doesn't know much about how things work.
I asked about pulling the packer and he said they're usually cemented in place. If they grab it somehow and pull too hard, it could damage the casing or even pull it out of the ground. It likely isn't in good shape since the packer had to be installed in the first place.

He said the same thing about possibly being able to hook the broken pitless adapter. He even took pictures of the broken part that I pulled out of the casing, hoping to match it with one they have in the shop. It may be below the point where the packer ends and assuming they can grab it, it could catch on the packer edge.

I've been dealing with these guys for a long time and I trust their expertise. I think the rep was just giving me the worst case scenario. A lot will depend on what the camera shows next week.

Not quite sure why you must recover it anyway. There shopuld be plenty of standing water level above the pump on the bottom, cannot you just install a new pump in the standing water level and leave the old one in the bottom of the bore. I know on ours, there is 20 feet of water between the bottom and the where the pump is located.
If the end of the supply pipe and broken adapter is in the 4" PVC packer, there won't be enough clearance for a new pump.
Well, that stinks. Hopefully when they get a better look at it, they'll see something hopeful.

If they don't is it new well time?

If it is new well time, then I'd try at least for a few times, to do something myself, or at the least, get another estimate. If you're gonna need a new well, you can't really muck it up any further by attempting the long shot.

Good luck with the next camera. 🤞
I might consider a 10K repair bill but at that depth, a new well will cost more than twice that. I've been thinking of giving up the livestock anyway and this might be the reason to do it. Without the animals, I have no real need for a well.

It's convenient to wash equipment at the barn but I can always do that down at the house. I do get a break on the fire insurance with water available at the barn but it isn't much. The premium savings won't pay for a new well in my lifetime anyway.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #76  
If the end of the supply pipe and broken adapter is in the 4" PVC packer, there won't be enough clearance for a new pump.

I might consider a 10K repair bill but at that depth, a new well will cost more than twice that. I've been thinking of giving up the livestock anyway and this might be the reason to do it. Without the animals, I have no real need for a well.

It's convenient to wash equipment at the barn but I can always do that down at the house. I do get a break on the fire insurance with water available at the barn but it isn't much. The premium savings won't pay for a new well in my lifetime anyway.
I would set an amount you are willing to spend to try to retrieve the stuff and then stop…. Then maybe it gets done for that amount. Then you can decide if you want to drop new stuff in. New stuff in the hole should be about $2k if you do it yourself. You can just use black poly 500’ long. You prolly could re-use the wire for the new pump. New pump will be $500-800. Do it in a couple years.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #77  
I didn't read all replies but small waterproof cameras with LED lights are not expensive ($50-$100).
One on Amazon had a 150M (about 500 ft) cable. It connects to phone or tablet I'm thinking.
Me, I would get something like that, especially since you could use it for other things, looking behind walls, etc.
That way you could see what you're dealing with. If I could snag it I'd use a strong cable with a loop using camera to guide it. Then pull up with a winch.
If you see you can't do it as mentioned just wait for the professionals to do it.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #78  
I think he said there's 500' of pipe in there still.
Missed that. Guess it has to come out then. Don't understand the packer thing. All mine has in the hole is a torque limiter then keeps the pump from torquing and twisting the poly pipe.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #79  
Get a second opinion. :)
Sorry in advance.

21DF5F5E-0B73-4FFE-B205-4ECD78F28066.jpeg

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #80  

I've been dealing with these guys for a long time and I trust their expertise. I think the rep was just giving me the worst case scenario. A lot will depend on what the camera shows next week.
At least you know them. That's a plus. (y)