How would you [safely] take down this tree?

/ How would you [safely] take down this tree?
You did good! Not only getting the tree down safely but also respectful for all the advice.

Using the tractor as a anchor and pulling with the come along was safer than pulling with the tractor with that rigging. You might consider 50-100’ of 3/8” winch cable to have on hand for the next time. Easy to handle/store in an old tire with one side wheel bead cut out. Distance is sometimes your friend.
View attachment 657960
View attachment 657962
That's a great idea! I'd like to get some longer cable, as the chain only adds up to 50 ft, and I don't want to put around anything longer than that. I've got a lot of trees down in our woods that are inaccesible with anything shorter than 100 -150'. I can't justify a logging winch for what would amount to removing 3-5 trees per year (after the initial cleanup). I had balked at the idea of buying cable because of the challenge of storing it in a neat and easy manner. Problem solved! Thanks.

/ How would you [safely] take down this tree? #142  
That's a great idea! I'd like to get some longer cable, as the chain only adds up to 50 ft, and I don't want to put around anything longer than that. I've got a lot of trees down in our woods that are inaccesible with anything shorter than 100 -150'. I can't justify a logging winch for what would amount to removing 3-5 trees per year (after the initial cleanup). I had balked at the idea of buying cable because of the challenge of storing it in a neat and easy manner. Problem solved! Thanks.

Yup, im going to do that too!

/ How would you [safely] take down this tree? #143  
Maybe somebody could lend the guy a couple of feet of Det Cord?
And a quarter stick of C-4 as a kicker at the base of one f the support trees. :))

/ How would you [safely] take down this tree? #144  
The picture doesn't show it well, but there is probably still 6-8 inches thick of wood that is hinged to the main tree (on the left). I don't think I'll be able to simply pull it off. I think I have to cut it.

My thought was go up a ladder on the left tree, and cut it at the hinge point, so it drops down away from the tree. I don't like the idea of being on a ladder, 15 ft in the air, when everything let's go, though. A lot can go wrong quickly, including the tree potentially springing back (and bucking me off the ladder) when the split portion is cut off.
No. 6 inches of hanging tree is nothing for your tractor. Just throw rope over it and then pull up either a substantial rope or chain, and get the heck away from it, So that nothing can come down anywhere near your tractor and pull gently and pull it down. Trust us on this.

/ How would you [safely] take down this tree? #145  
That's a great idea. I badly kinked the cable on my logging winch last fall. 230' of swaged 3/8" cable with a nasty kink at about the 100' mark. I put a new cable on the winch. I've been meaning to cut out the kink and put hooks on the cable ends, but hadn't figured out how to store it. I'll try that tire idea. What size tire did you use? it looks smaller than a typical automotive tire.
Is there a Murphy's law that says, if you damage a winch cable it will be in the middle? I had a bird nest in my cable (don't ask) and only lost 5' to the angle grinder, right in the middle!

Doug in SW IA