Hydraulic coupler advice

/ Hydraulic coupler advice
Several of my attachments came with FF couplers and I have standardized everything to that. I like them better than AG couplers because FF couplers are easier to keep clean and leak less when disconnecting. AG couplers are easier to crack to relieve pressure if you store you implement in the sun. To me FF couplers are better.

It's all personal preference, do whatever floats your boat.
I'm getting that. Very few questions I post here seem to have an answer everyone agrees with. :)

/ Hydraulic coupler advice #12  
You get varying answers because most every-bodies situation is somewhat unique.

/ Hydraulic coupler advice #13  
FWIW I have pioneer-style couplers everywhere on the tractor but the 3rd function, which is flat face. Haven't found any downsides to having a mix of connectors, though the flat face are definitely harder to bleed/connect if there's pressure in the line.

/ Hydraulic coupler advice #14  
To keep the couplers clean when not in use, it seems to be fairly conventional to use one male and one female on the valve side and attachment side. The intimacy keeps dirt out when 3rd function is disconnected.

/ Hydraulic coupler advice #15  
The only way FF couplers are easier to connect is if you get the ones designed to connect under pressure.

If you dont....there is no way to bleed residual pressure without loosening fittings.

With AG type or similar.....you can always tap the poppet to bleed fluid. Way easier than FF couplers that are NOT connect under pressure design

/ Hydraulic coupler advice
The only way FF couplers are easier to connect is if you get the ones designed to connect under pressure.

If you dont....there is no way to bleed residual pressure without loosening fittings.

With AG type or similar.....you can always tap the poppet to bleed fluid. Way easier than FF couplers that are NOT connect under pressure design
How do you know if FF couplers are designed to connect under pressure?

/ Hydraulic coupler advice #17  
As mentioned above, it's really an individual's choice as to what works best for their particular use.

In my case, I bought a flail mower and paid extra for the FF's. I heard they were supposed to be better for easy attachment and to keep clean. I spent a bunch more money to convert two tractors and 3 other implements to FF's.

After a couple of years, I went back to the Pioneer/ag type connectors. The FF's were easier to keep clean and didn't leak as much but they were a bear to connect under pressure. As others have said, there is no way to bleed off pressure without loosening the fitting.

I use male AG's on the implements and females on the tractors. The pressure can be relieved on the female side by operating the valves on the tractor. The pressure on the male AG's is easy to relieve by tapping the ball end on a block of wood.

To make it even easier to work with the AG's, I made up this simple tool from a cheap Harbor Freight welding clamp:

I used an angle grinder to open the jaws a bit to fit the grooves on the Pioneer AG's.

Use what you like but for me anyway, I never found the FF's to be any easier to work with than the AG's.

/ Hydraulic coupler advice #18  
It seems that dirt is the main point of concern with ag type couplers. Would using coupler fittings of opposite gender and then connecting them when the attachment is removed from the FEL eliminate the dirt issue?

/ Hydraulic coupler advice #19  
How do you know if FF couplers are designed to connect under pressure?
Should be in the description of where ever you buy them.

OTherwise it would be researching the manufacture and part number if you have a fitting in your hand and have no idea.

It seems that dirt is the main point of concern with ag type couplers. Would using coupler fittings of opposite gender and then connecting them when the attachment is removed from the FEL eliminate the dirt issue?
Exactly what I do on the front loader. I choose to go with 7241-b couplers. Mainly because I already had quite a few in 1/4" size. Because thats what I always ran on my meyer plows, and thats what napa always carried, and so I can also put the plow on the tractor if desired.

/ Hydraulic coupler advice #20  
Rubber caps are available for the AG's. If used properly, dirt isn't an issue.

7188sdSC1JL._AC_SL1500_.jpg