Hydraulic coupler advice

/ Hydraulic coupler advice #21  
Hmm. I am honestly new to all of this. Are you saying use the same attachment that comes with the 3rd function kit?
No he is saying use the same type connectors that are already on the tractor rear remotes. Don't get flat faced ones for front.

/ Hydraulic coupler advice
It seems that dirt is the main point of concern with ag type couplers. Would using coupler fittings of opposite gender and then connecting them when the attachment is removed from the FEL eliminate the dirt issue?
Well, Ag couplers leak a little too when you disconnect.

/ Hydraulic coupler advice #24  
Well, Ag couplers leak a little too when you disconnect.
I agree but not sure what you mean other than the leakage attracts dirt? My thought was to couple the A and B hoses to each other on the attachment as well as on the tractor when not in use to keep dirt out.

/ Hydraulic coupler advice #25  
I agree but not sure what you mean other than the leakage attracts dirt? My thought was to couple the A and B hoses to each other on the attachment as well as on the tractor when not in use to keep dirt out.
If you do this, the connectors can become pressure bound due to temperature changes. loosening the fitting is then the only way to get them apart.

The best approach is to leave the male ends unconnected and cover with the rubber boots mentioned above. Bleed off any pressure build up by tapping the ball end on a block of wood.

You can also make a tee with female AG's on each end and a relief valve in the center. Plug the Male AG's into the ends and bleed off the pressure to remove. This gets expensive though if you have many hydraulic implements.

/ Hydraulic coupler advice #26  
If you do this, the connectors can become pressure bound due to temperature changes. loosening the fitting is then the only way to get them apart.

The best approach is to leave the male ends unconnected and cover with the rubber boots mentioned above. Bleed off any pressure build up by tapping the ball end on a block of wood.

You can also make a tee with female AG's on each end and a relief valve in the center. Plug the Male AG's into the ends and bleed off the pressure to remove. This gets expensive though if you have many hydraulic implements.
I see what you're saying and it makes sense. I might suggest something to eliminate the pressure binding: Before disconnecting an attachment such as a grapple, with the grapple claw in the up position shut off the engine and then let the claw down using the valve and gravity. (Will require "ignition" switch on if valve is electric)

This should tend to draw air into the base end of the claw cylinder(s) to prevent the pressure lock after the A and B ends are connected for storage as there would then be some air in both hoses. Cycling the claw cylinders a couple times after reinstalling the grapple should purge any air.

The above procedure may help eliminate the pressure binding normally associated with temperature increase even if the A and B lines are not connected to each other. The trick would be to not let the claw(s) all the way down so there is a small bit of cylinder stroke left. This would prevent the pressure buildup due to thermal expansion of the fluid. There would, however, be some pressure in the hose due to the weight of the claw(s).

Please be aware that I have not tried any of the above and you would be experimenting.

/ Hydraulic coupler advice #27  
I'm getting a 3rd function kit and some attachments and was wondering what is the best coupler to go with? Seems like the flat face couples always come as an option for attachments for some extra $$$. Are they worth the extra money?
Generalizing a bit... Flush face connectors ISO 16028, are typical on Construction machines. The biggy on these is that they are supposed to be environmentally friendly. No drip. Because of this 'no drip', they are very tough to connect. Google connecting Flush Face connectors to see the World crying about connecting. These are on my machine, not impressed.

/ Hydraulic coupler advice #28  
Generalizing a bit... Flush face connectors ISO 16028, are typical on Construction machines. The biggy on these is that they are supposed to be environmentally friendly. No drip. Because of this 'no drip', they are very tough to connect. Google connecting Flush Face connectors to see the World crying about connecting. These are on my machine, not impressed.
I hate FF, but two implements came with them and my buddy (also a farmer) has a skid steer. I use adapters so we can use each other's stuff. The adapters can also help me connect the PIA FF connectors. ISO Ag couplers on the third function, then adapters.

/ Hydraulic coupler advice #29  
   / Hydraulic coupler advice #30  
If you have more than one tractor of different brands you will end up with one or two with different couplers for the FEL and the power beyond. I once had to haul my Kubota B2710 off to the hydraulic shop to make it compatible with the log splitter that came with the JD 3005. Easier to haul the whole shebang there than to try to explain what coupler I needed.

Last edited: