Toplink HYDRAULIC TOP LINK

/ HYDRAULIC TOP LINK #11  
I am not sure that you would want to use what we think of as a standard hydraulic for a home made down pressure kit. A factory purchased kit has built in safety valves for various reasons. Not saying that it can't be done, you would need to be careful and operate everything in a specific order or damage to the PHD could result. Look at the manuals section on the Land Pride website and you can see how to build one.

Hope that this helps

Last edited:
   / HYDRAULIC TOP LINK #12  
MtnViewRanch, who makes the down pressure kits? I agree with you about the dangers involved, especially since I know next to nothing about working with hydraulics.

/ HYDRAULIC TOP LINK #13  
The only ones that I know of for sure are Land Pride (which I just purchased 2 weeks ago) and Gearmore. I am not sure if they will work on someone else's PHD though. The are a bit pricey at over $500. :( I think that all the major brands most likely have them.

Last edited:
   / HYDRAULIC TOP LINK #14  
The first time through your initial respnse, I missed your Land Pride reference. I went to their Website and found a local dealer. Sent an email to them asking for a price and asked if the kit is universal or a Land Pride PHD specific kit. I may send the same question to Land Pride. Thanks for your help.

I have an old auger that I bought at a farm estate sale and have no idea who built it. It has a heavy duty gearbox and I have twisted off a 10 inch bit with it. No damage to the gearbox, the frame, the tractor or me, thank goodness.

/ HYDRAULIC TOP LINK #15  
flINTLOCK said:
Would HTL allow you to more easily sharpen rotary cutter blades without removing them from cutter??
No. As stated above, a HTL provides no vertical lift height advantage over a conventional toplink. The advantage is being able to change the geometry of the implement without leaving the tractor seat.

//greg//

/ HYDRAULIC TOP LINK #16  
The pic in post 7 and 9 is a "DANUSER" brand phd. Been around a long time and make a very good product. Should be able to do a search for the web site with success.

/ HYDRAULIC TOP LINK #17  
I just added weights ....kiss principle ya know?

/ HYDRAULIC TOP LINK #18  
greg_g said:
No. As stated above, a HTL provides no vertical lift height advantage over a conventional toplink. The advantage is being able to change the geometry of the implement without leaving the tractor seat.

Actually, when you tighten a conventional toplink it does raise the tailwheel on a rotary cutter (by changing the geometry of course). So sure, raise the 3ph then close the hydraulic top link to get the rear of the mower angled up in the air for easier access to the blades. You can do this with a standard top link but much easier with a hydraulic one. However, this does not mean that you can get under a non-supported mower. The top link or the 3ph could lose pressure or leak down and crush you. Once you have it up, support it with jack stands or cribbing before you get under it.

/ HYDRAULIC TOP LINK #19  
I'm curious, will that down pressure cylinder also help you pull it back out? Sure looks like it would.

/ HYDRAULIC TOP LINK #20  
N80 said:
I'm curious, will that down pressure cylinder also help you pull it back out? Sure looks like it would.

No, it has down pressure only. There is a valve that bleeds off as the PHD is lifted with the 3PH.