Ideas for cannon ball extraction?

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #21  

hosspuller

Veteran Member
Tractor
Didn't intend to have a Deere fleet - it just happened 310C, F915,102, 5200 & 5065E
Repeated dropping of the cannon nose on a block if wood might help. (after you clean the bore) The ball's inertia & gravity will get it out.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #22  

Randy Gann

Silver Member
Tractor
Oliver 550 Diesel, Massey 1528 with gel
I am with the gravity and vibration suggestions. Load the cannon onto a trailer, strap it down so as not to damage it. Tilt the barrel down, then tow the trailer up and down some rough roads. The vibration and gravity may loosen the ball so it rolls out on its own. Be sure you have something to catch and trap the cannonball if it does roll out while towing. Cleaning and lubricating the barrel first won’t hurt. An old trailer without springs would probably do the job.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #23  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
Looks like some kind of hole in the ball inside the bore posted by the OP. That's what made me ask what this really is.
It should have two holes, each on opposite sides, to indicate it's an iron ball.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction?
OP
Richard

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Regarding the hole(s) in the ball. So far, I've only seen a single hole. I've stuck a rod into it (some steel wire) and it appears to be maybe an inch deep or so.

Stuck magnet on it, magnet falls off. I talked to a gunsmith guy (to find out about how/where to buy powder) he said it was likely made of lead.

I have no idea.

The cannon doesn't come apart. Let me rephrase that.....the METAL part of the cannon is one piece. It has the stubs that allow it to hinge inside the wooden frame but there is no breech to open up to have access to anything.

The cannon itself appears to have a muzzle that is then, surrounded by another metal (bronze?)

The liner appears to be roughly 1/4" thick. You might be able to see it in the pictures. I'm guessing they take this liner, then cast the cannon around it (but I have no idea). Not a hint of rust on the exterior. The liner in the pictures is what appears to be crusty looking.

I hadn't thought about putting water in. I can put that into the barrel, it will seep behind the ball, then I can use my air. That might be enough to dislodge the ball. It will also push it out but not as easily as the air itself passing by the ball.

Nice idea!!

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #25  

3Ts

Veteran Member
Tractor
Case, Kubota, John Deere
It is possible that the ball is lead, if so it is easily scratched. Try an iron rod and scrape the surface, if it scratches, you will see a shiny surface and it's probably lead. However, that appears to be a "real" cannon and cannon balls were made of iron not lead back in the day. The "pounder" nomenclature, as in a 6 pound cannon referred to the weight of an iron cannon ball. (Yours is smaller than that, but not sure what size it would be.)

Note: hollow cannon balls were used as fragmentary munitions just like grenades.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #26  

stuckmotor

Elite Member
Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
This won't help get the cannon ball out so unless you just want to read my cannon story ignore it.

After the Civil War, a couple of my relatives went north to retrieve the body of a brother. They didn't find the brother but somewhere got possession of a tiny Revolutionary War cannon. My cousin still has it. The kids in the family are said to have loaded it with fireworks and fired it in the early 1900's.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #27  

airbiscuit

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland T2310, Kubota L3010 GST, New Holland TC21DA, Farmall H *** Previously - 1941 John Deere B, Shibaura SD1500, John Deere 850, Bobcat 642, New Holland 1925
Can you take a few pics or the breech end? I liked the comments.

Gravity is your friend (keep the muzzle pointed down as much as possible)
Clean/De-rust the bore
Tap the muzzle on a wood block
Spray some ether in the breech and touch it off (video this for our entertainment and/or for the survivors)
Do this
Grease gun, gravity. Done ;)

If you can use a grease gun to tension tracks on an excavator, it should be able to push a cannon ball out

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #28  

ruffdog

Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5610G Deere X744
Neighbor had a cannon that he shot every 4th of July. The ammo he used was beer cans filled with concrete.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #29  

stuckmotor

Elite Member
Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
I've had a post hole auger stuck in a hole, thought it was hung on a root until all I dug out was dirt and clay. Had a tube within a tube hung only by corrosion that nearly caused me to destroy the outer tube before I got it out, and have rung off many bolts when all that was preventing the nuts unscrewing was a tiny bit of rust. It's amazing how little it takes to stick something in bore hole.

Last edited:
   / Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #30  

Root Cause

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2638
Regarding the hole(s) in the ball. So far, I've only seen a single hole. I've stuck a rod into it (some steel wire) and it appears to be maybe an inch deep or so.

Stuck magnet on it, magnet falls off. I talked to a gunsmith guy (to find out about how/where to buy powder) he said it was likely made of lead.

I have no idea.

The cannon doesn't come apart. Let me rephrase that.....the METAL part of the cannon is one piece. It has the stubs that allow it to hinge inside the wooden frame but there is no breech to open up to have access to anything.

The cannon itself appears to have a muzzle that is then, surrounded by another metal (bronze?)

The liner appears to be roughly 1/4" thick. You might be able to see it in the pictures. I'm guessing they take this liner, then cast the cannon around it (but I have no idea). Not a hint of rust on the exterior. The liner in the pictures is what appears to be crusty looking.

I hadn't thought about putting water in. I can put that into the barrel, it will seep behind the ball, then I can use my air. That might be enough to dislodge the ball. It will also push it out but not as easily as the air itself passing by the ball.

Nice idea!!
I normally don't really worry about outcomes for posters with problems but you REALLY need to report back how you got this out. It is an interesting problem to have.