Ideas for cannon ball extraction?

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #61  
Id mix a gallon of transmission fluid and 1/2 gallon of mystery oil and pour it down there..let it sit for a fed days, then dump it out.. hang the cannon upside down and bounce it on a hard surface. The weight of the ball alone should cause it to break loose when the cannon itself stops.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #62  
I'd strongly recommend patience in whatever you choose to do. This problem was decades in the making. Take your time finding the best solution whatever that may be.

I recently had a very stuck PTO shaft that wouldn't even come apart after being chained to a stump and being pulled with a full size tractor. Took me two or three months of repeat applications of Kroil oil (until I ran out) and then a mixture of ATF fluid + paint solvent. Then it decided to free up and came apart pulling it by hand without damage. I really think it just took time for the ATF fluid to work itself into the corrosion to free things up.

You don't want to putting anything in the bore that is going to cause corrosion down the road. I'd also been leery of hard hits on the barrel that could cause something to unexpectedly fracture.

Take your time.....

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #63  
Id mix a gallon of transmission fluid and 1/2 gallon of mystery oil and pour it down there..let it sit for a fed days, then dump it out.. hang the cannon upside down and bounce it on a hard surface. The weight of the ball alone should cause it to break loose when the cannon itself stops.
I was thinking along the same lines. ATF is a good cleaner/solvent. Clean out what crap in in front of the ball first.

Also tapping the fuse hole for a zerk is good; then just cut off the top of the zerk and you have a new fuse hole.

My neighbor makes cannons just like this. 2 1/8" bore, fir a 4 lb lead slug. If that's a lead ball he could just bore it out.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #66  
Can your neighbor make one that fits a 3pt hitch?
If it can be turned on a lathe, machined on a mill or welded he can make it. He made his own Gatling gun from scratch; fired .45 ACP. Also made a .50 cal bolt action from a barrel someone gave him from a Ma Deuce.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #67  
If bumping the muzzle vertically on a wood block isn't used. I like the grease gun idea myself... I would stay away from any compressed air or explosives. Even with 100 psi air, when it lets go, the ball will be traveling at speed. Many people have been surprised when using air to force hydraulic pistons from a cylinder.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #68  
IDK, I wondered if he could pull it out with a fishing magnet after the bore has been cleaned and the ball has been loosened with some kind of penetrating fluid if won't fall out on its own? Or ask Buggs67 neighbor what he'd do? Maybe he could make a bore worm if that's the tool needed?

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #69  
Rig it to hoist vertically nose down, lift as high as you can, rig to stop just before it hits ground. Drop it.

/ Ideas for cannon ball extraction? #70  
To add to those suggestions to let gravity work along with dropping the barrel on its nose or shaking it, etc. Rent or borrow a concrete vibrator and strap it to the barrel and hopefully the shake, rattle, and over time ,,,, will cause a roll. :giggle: