Ideas for repairing radiator? REPAIRED!

/ Ideas for repairing radiator? REPAIRED! #1  

Doc G

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200
Noticed a slow antifreeze leak and pulled the radiator. (Kubota L3200.) The leak is where a mounting stud protrudes from the bottom tank. All plastic. It's hard to see in the pic but the arrow shows where.

It has evidently been a problem before, because -- I discovered -- the previous owner used two-part clear epoxy to fix the same problem. I was able to chisel it off and clean up with a wire brush.

Any suggestions for what to do? Obviously brittle 2-part epoxies are not the long-term answer, although it lasted surprisingly long.

Thanks much.

radiator.jpg

/ Ideas for repairing radiator? REPAIRED! #3  
I’ve tried it multiple times on different radiators and it’s never worked. It’s already been tried on your radiator and didn’t work. I’d move on to different solutions.

/ Ideas for repairing radiator? REPAIRED! #4  
A permanent repair might be sonic welding. I have no idea where you would go to find this type of equipment. Maybe start by talking to your tractor dealer.

/ Ideas for repairing radiator? REPAIRED! #5  
You can buy an aftermarket one for $100-200.
IMG_0865.JPG

/ Ideas for repairing radiator? REPAIRED! #6  
Check out Rapid-Fix!
They have videos online.!
I've seen guys do some neat stuff with it!
Good Luck

/ Ideas for repairing radiator? REPAIRED! #7  
Super glue and baking soda

/ Ideas for repairing radiator? REPAIRED! #9  
There are two-part epoxies made specifically for plastics. It would depend on what type plastic the radiator is as to how well they work. But I have had good luck with them on most plastics. Repairing every couple years with epoxy is still much cheaper than a new rad, if just dollars is a priority.

Then, if you want a more permanent solution, new one is probably your only choice and that is expensive. So at that point I'd try to 'plastic-weld' it since you have nothing to lose if you screw it up. Plastic-welding is tricky and a hit or miss thing I have found. But if new is the only other option, what the hey - try welding first. One key is to find filler material that is the same composition as the radiator.

/ Ideas for repairing radiator? REPAIRED! #10  
You may know this already but same as advice you get on ways to repair this is free advice. Unlike gasoline engines that can overheat to the point of smoking and steaming,shut down,alowed to cool,problem fixed then refilled with coolant and not noticablly suffer,it is highly probable a diesel will be severly damaged or catastropically fail. That being the case a wise diesel owner ALWAYS err's on the side of caution even when it look's like a waste of money to the less informed. My advice is don't gamble on noticing in time to stop before engine overheats next time it leaks, throw that radiator in the trash and spend $99 for a new one.