I'm not the only dummy

/ I'm not the only dummy
They are one that I emailed today.

/ I'm not the only dummy #12  
You should have a local hydraulics shop that can rebuild those cylinders faster than you can get some things mailed to you. Shouldn't be too expensive.

/ I'm not the only dummy #13  
I've got a few queries out and hope to hear something tomorrow.

Back to the original question though - has anyone bought a cylinder from Tractor Supply? I saw one with very close specs but inexpensive is pointless if the product is lousy.
I needed one for the lift on the 8' Bush Hog and purchased it from Tractor Supply on a Saturday evening. Mowed with it all day, then took it off and put it on the centerlift of the batwing, because it was larger in diameter than the original one, and thereby slower. The batwing center lift doesn't get used much, so no help as far as longevity.
David from jax

/ I'm not the only dummy #14  
Ups them to me, just the rods if the barrels are good. Normally just a few hundred $$$ each. I need the ends to weld on the new rods. I have bent mine so many times now I just straighten them on the tractor if they aren't too bad. Where do you live? Cj

/ I'm not the only dummy #15  
I can see how that would happen, I have to keep reminding myself what to watch out for.

/ I'm not the only dummy #16  
Depends on the type of steel in the rods whether one can just straighten them or not*. I busted a bucket tilt cylinder on my NX5510. Dealer was a pain in the behind to deal with at the time so I went to a great hydraulics shop and they built up a new rod. Cost was only SLIGHTLY less than a brand new cylinder; BUT, they guaranteed their work. Cost was something like $700 (slightly under) for repair or new.

* Shop had a bunch of pictures of bent and broken rods. I was told that some of the older stuff used softer metal and the rods would bend up really well but not break. Newer stuff is more hardened and is therefor stronger, until...

Attachments

• BrokenTiltCylinder.jpg
    BrokenTiltCylinder.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 214

I rolled over on a big piece of trunk. Slipped and lurched forward. Didn't realize it right away and when going to do some more work I saw the gushing fluid.

/ I'm not the only dummy
Well ... not one response to my queries from anyone that sells cylinders. I did get a call from Hyspeco on a rebuild.

Since I broke one rod and bent the 2nd - both cylinders needed to be replaced or rebuilt. Cost new is over $600 each. I'm sorry - but I just refuse to be extorted for these things. Rebuilding is not cheap - $300 or so each.

Kioti has made these cylinders problematic to replace because they hang on 30mm pivot pins. It seems most use 1" pins. If that was the case, I could pick these up almost anywhere for $200.

If I move forward on the rebuild - I may replace the rods with larger diameter. I think the Kioti rods are 30mm, just like the pins and apparently this is in short supply. It may be possible to buy larger for less $$. Also considered replacing the pivot pins with 1" and having collars made to fit the 30mm mounts on the FEL.

/ I'm not the only dummy #18  
So. What is wrong with the $300 rebuild. To save $100, you have to have custom bushings made, which have cost. Probably $100-200. You save maybe peanuts. Get them rebuilt and move on.

Also, if you increase the rod diameter, you will decrease your curl force.

Last edited:
   / I'm not the only dummy
So. What is wrong with the $300 rebuild. To save $100, you have to have custom bushings made, which have cost. Probably $100-200. You save maybe peanuts. Get them rebuilt and move on.

Yes .... maybe. I hope to get the details of my options today/tomorrow. Will post the result. I actually like the idea of moving to cylinders with standard pivot pins. It would make any future failures much cheaper and much faster to resolve.

/ I'm not the only dummy #20  
"I refuse to be extorted"....sometimes things cost what they cost when it comes to equipment.