I'm sold- string trimmer line

/ I'm sold- string trimmer line #1  

Flatheadyoungin

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45 Shuttle
My father-in-law stopped by the other day and had some new string trimmer line that he claimed was the crap. Well, I usually take his advice with a grain of salt (another story) but he said to wind some up on my string trimmer and give it a try. So, rather than tell him that I liked my string just fine, I obliged........I didn't use it for a couple of days. After I cut my yard, as usual, I grabbed my Sthil FS80 and went around the house, play set, landscaping, edged the concrete......well, just about everything I usually do. When I do this same routine, I bump the head about 6-10 times. With this Gatorline I didn't bump the head a SINGLE time. This is .095 and I usually use .105.....

In another thread, http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...rimmer-actually-troy.html?highlight=troy+bilt , I was having trouble with my Troy Bilt walk behind string trimmer. The line was shearing off waaay to easily. Well, when I placed an order for my flail mower, Flailmaster.com carried Gatorline in .155. So, I ordered a 1lbs. spool and thought, "What the heck........" It came in today and I quickly threaded some on the walk behind trimmer. Let me tell you, it's a whole different machine! I deliberately put it up against cross-ties, landscape rocks, etc. It didn't even break off a 1/4"! I put it up against a landscape rock that had a sharp edge at 90 degrees. Nope! Still held up and actually took a chip out of the rock!

I haven't sunk it in to any weeds, yet, but if it held up to the abuse a little bit ago, it'll have to hold up to heavy grass.

Gatorline square......give it a try!

/ I'm sold- string trimmer line #2  
Ok, where do I find it?

/ I'm sold- string trimmer line #3  
You're talking about the square gatorline from Oregon? Have you tried their round and supertwist line? I don't remember the brand, but I did have better luck with some square line on my DR trimmer/mower several years ago.

/ I'm sold- string trimmer line #4  
It is good stuff. My dealer put me onto it several years ago.
Will

/ I'm sold- string trimmer line #5  
I'll try it when my current stock runs out . I just bought line the other day

/ I'm sold- string trimmer line #6  
I don't remember the name or brand, but I've been using a roll of square line in my trimmer for awhile now and absolutely love it. I lasts longer and cuts better then round line!!!!!!

I bought mine at Lowes. It's purple in color and comes in small amounts or a large reel. I bought the small amout and when I'm done with what's on my trimmer, will go out and buy the big reel of it.

Eddie

/ I'm sold- string trimmer line
my father-in-law got his at some local place...not sure where

when i placed my last order with flailmaster.com i had them throw in the .155 with my order (actually it was back ordered and sent later)....i wish now i would have had them throw in some .95 or .105.......

it met its match in some HEAVY brush yesterday in my FS80 string trimmer (.95 my FIL let me have) but it was still VERY impressive....

daBear said:
Ok, where do I find it?

/ I'm sold- string trimmer line #9  
I've got to try this Gatorline too. I might have my first real complaint about my Craftsman 4 stroke. It seems to bump out line too easily- like I'm just scuffing the bottom lightly and it spits out line and cuts it off before I need it too. It is spec'ed to use .095 line which is what I've been using. I use the Oregon Gator blades exclusively on my Cub, just wondering if their trimmer line will be equally as good.

-Fordlords-