Impeller mod for walk behind snow throwers

/ Impeller mod for walk behind snow throwers #1  

Garandman

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200 HST
Learned about the original impeller mod kit (from Clarence’s Small Engines in Quebec) about 20 years ago, but never installed one.

Boston gets very heavy, wind-packed snow and they use plenty of road salt. So you have heavy, salt infused snow/slush that will clog even the most powerful machines. The modification consists of adding rubber tabs to the impeller blades to close the gap between the housing and blades. There are many before-and-after videos on YouTube, here’s a good example.

Purchased a kit for the Honda HS928T on eBay, with stainless plates and ha4dware. An Ariens or any other brand is very similar. It’s not hard to put together your own kit for a few dollars.

In addition to wrenches, purchased two tools that really helped: a 12” magnetic drill bit extension, and a locking C Clamp.

Step 1. Take out the rubber pads and put them in your freezer.

Step 2. Remove the clamps for the discharge Shute and set it aside. There are small washers under the top plate, don’t lose them.
i-vM25CV2-X2.jpg

Step 3. Rotate the first impeller blade until it is horizontal.
i-9WSMBXt-X2.jpg

Step 4. Place the rubber pad and metal keeper in position. Not shown: use a sheet of card stock (which is about 0.010” thick) to provide clearance between the housing and pad.

Step 5. Position the C clamp between the two 0.25” holes in the metal keeper and clamp it. Lined up the metal keeper with the edge of the impeller and the rubber with the opening (minus the card stock thickness).
i-kHWjDnr-X2.jpg

Step 6. Light dawns over Marblehead. Keeping everything in place while you drill was initially a PITA. After trying clamping the clutch, auger, impeller, standing on the auger with my foot, the solution - which any Infantryman will know - is parachute cord. Made a loop to pull up while drilling down.
i-HTpkrFW-XL.jpg

Step 7. Drill right through the two clearance holes, the rubber pads, and the impeller.
i-WrzvKj3-XL.jpg

Step 8. Make a “sandwich” with the bolts, keeper and pad and drop them in place. Put on the nuts, and tighten them. This kit came with stainless steel 1/4-20 bolts and Nyloc nuts. Putting the pads in the freeser makes the rubber harder and easier to drill through.
i-DW4sP8C-L.jpg

Before reattaching the chute, took it outside and tested it. All good, reattached the chute.

First one took 30 minutes to figure out, other two took 15-20 minutes each.

Last edited:
   / Impeller mod for walk behind snow throwers #3  
Did that mod on a used $100 blower o got from a neighbor. Think it was a Craftsman. It helped a noticeable bit. Threw farther, plugged less.

Traded that blower off after moving & getting the tractor though.

/ Impeller mod for walk behind snow throwers
Got to try it several times, on powder to slush. We got an 18” storm and it was throwing the snow over the lower utility lines! And works must better with plowed and slushy snow.

/ Impeller mod for walk behind snow throwers #5  
I am glad to hear the impeller mod is working for you.

If you spray Fluid Film on the impeller, impeller housing and chute you will more than double your casting distance and
clear the slush and white crap even faster.

You can also use a lambs wool paint mitt to coat everything that contacts snow with three coats of Fluid Film from a quart can letting it dry between coats.

/ Impeller mod for walk behind snow throwers
//

If you spray Fluid Film on the impeller, impeller housing and chute you will more than double your casting distance and
clear the slush and white crap even faster.
//
We've used many, many different compounds over the years, from ski wax to Pam to Mower Guard to spray Silicone to DuPont Snow and Ice Repellant.

They all work: for about 20 minutes.

Last edited: