Increased Ethanol %

/ Increased Ethanol % #11  
I would like to find the source for the quote that the repair shops are busy fixing ethanl related issues?

I have ran e-30 for about a year in a 2001 ranger. No issues yet. I know a guy who runs e-85 in a 2000 f-150 no issues. When I talk to the local ford gargage they say the issues they see are the same issues they seen twenty years ago. Plain old crap in the filters.

Now I did have a weed wacker develop a fuel leak that I blamed on ethanol. Hey it was 6 years old and I used ethanol so it must be the ethanol that casues it.

/ Increased Ethanol % #12  
My bad, sorry. After a recent exam my head was stuck in a different mode. Low Sulfur Diesel will be replaced by Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel.

From wha I have read, the ethanol issue was piloted in some ways by the industry, and in others by state legislation made by those who knew nothing of what they were tampering with.

But, no fear all, the current oligarchy will soon be giving tax credits on kits to convert our rubber dollarr bills into elastics to wind up our American version of The Peoples Car.

Der!

E

Last edited:
   / Increased Ethanol %
I would like to find the source for the quote that the repair shops are busy fixing ethanl related issues?

I have ran e-30 for about a year in a 2001 ranger. No issues yet. I know a guy who runs e-85 in a 2000 f-150 no issues. When I talk to the local ford gargage they say the issues they see are the same issues they seen twenty years ago. Plain old crap in the filters.

Now I did have a weed wacker develop a fuel leak that I blamed on ethanol. Hey it was 6 years old and I used ethanol so it must be the ethanol that casues it.
The show I saw was an agriculture show. They had interviews with several shops, and discussed the overall damage reports. The marinas were adding a lot of special filters to try to deal with the water that the ethanol attracts. They talked about internal parts rusting and other damage the excessive moisture causes when it is present on a regular basis. They also discussed the damage it did to rubber parts. I'm assuming this affects small engines, mowers, tractors, and boats the most since the fuel will be sitting in the tanks and engines for long periods without use. Trucks and cars would be fine using it, to a certain extent.
The thing that got my attention was that this was an ag show. Its sponsors and viewers would benefit the most from more ethanol use, and they were not supporting it. They talked like we have yet to see the worst affects from the current 10% ethanol use, since some areas had it sooner than others.

/ Increased Ethanol % #15  
I keep hearing about engine damage but I have yet to see anything. I have been running 10% in my 1991 GMC Sonoma since it was new, no fuel related issues, still on the original fuel pump and injectors. I have ran it in my chainsaws for the past 20 years with no issues, all of my motorcycles, my 1970 Nova SS since I bought it in 1988. I have run it in all of my small engines for decades and no issues. It runs in my 1974 Dodge W200 pickup and it sits for sometimes 6 to 8 months between uses. (I only use it to haul, its not a daily driver.)

I have never had any issues, all of the people I know running it have not had issues. Ethanol has been available for decades.

Personally I find that a TON of old information in the mechanics world keeps getting passed down as gospel. While I know ethanol used to tear the seals out of old cars and motors, the motors made in the last 30 years have been built to take it. Sure it took the seals out of grandpa's 48 Packard, but its not going to hurt your 1997 pickup.

/ Increased Ethanol % #16  
I never had a problem with ethonal gas. I do take my small engine gas and put it in the car if it gets old though. I have also run E-10 in my 25 merc outboard for years and thought it was non E gas so I let the tank sit all winter with gas in it. For 12 years I have done this and never had a problem with the gas. I had a problem with it this spring and it might have been the gas so I filled it up with the old gas in, changed the 10year old plugs and have not had a problem since. Just my experience.

/ Increased Ethanol % #17  
Back when Brazil started converting to alcohol as a motor fuel we found that most of our issues were with rubber seals. Once the compounding was changed we had few other issues that related to alcohol based fuel. This is said from an ag equipment manufacturers perspective.

/ Increased Ethanol % #18  
I have burned my share of gasoline, from Ethyl and Regular days to our blended no lead ethanol gas.
I have used up to E85 in different engines and I've seen all kinds of scary stories usually 2nd or 3rd hand versions of the disastrous effects.
I have never had any problems with cars, trucks, tractors, Aircraft, boats, stationary engines, never any type of fuel related engine problems.

I think most stories are a reaction to our resistance to change coupled with a want to blame calamity on someone or group...
I do admit I don't much care for the smell of modern day gas. And it is nasty stuff to get on your skin. But it works in all my engines, well all but my diesel engines. KennyV

/ Increased Ethanol % #19  
My DR Mower had a cap for the gas tank that has metal rods that are part of a gas gauge. The metal RUSTED when covered by gas. This was not good. Since it clogged up the fuel filter which made mowing a bit hard....

Called up DR and they sent me a new gas cap. Put it in and it rusted as well. I ended taking the gauge off the cap.

I am on my third fuel filter. :rolleyes: I tried to clean out as much rust from the tank but there is still some in there that is going to take awhile to get flushed out.

The only thing I could think that would cause the rust was water attracted to the Ethanol.

Later,
Dan

/ Increased Ethanol % #20  
E-10 is not a significant problem when a fuel stabilizer is used, along with keeping your fuel tank full. E-85 should be used only in modern engines with a Flex-Fuel designation; to do otherwise would be, in a word, UNWISE :eek: