Increased Ethanol %

/ Increased Ethanol % #21  
Seems to me ethanol is bad for anything that sits unused for any appreciable time.

I like marine grade stabil for all gas cans and anything that is not driven regularly. The marine grade stabil is dark blueish and better for prolong storage of ethanol fuel than regular reddish stabil.

/ Increased Ethanol % #22  
Aound my house I worry more about my tractor, mowers, etc. getting old than I do the gas, or diesel. lol zman

/ Increased Ethanol % #23  
We have bad problems with E-10 down here. It not only eats the seals in Non highway equipment, but it also settles out due to moisture. Marinas, lawn mower shops, county/state/federal agencies all have seen it. Humidity and ethanol don't play well with engines. And it will eat the potmetal carbs.

/ Increased Ethanol % #24  
The ag community is split over this, with the grain producers pushing for it, while the rest of the ag community fighting against it.

That should raise a red flag. Anytime you use up a food source for fuel, you got problems.
Ethanol, as far as I know, does not raise the octane rating of gasoline, I tried it in a muscle car I own (SBC 415 "stroker" engine with 11:1 cr) diden't help at all. Trick gas sure did!

/ Increased Ethanol % #25  
the farmers grow more than enough corn for ethanol and to feed livestock....plus what is left over from the production of ethanol can also be used to feed livestock so it is a win win situation....plus, ethanol was not invented to replace gasoline, but to extend it so it lasts into the future. plus it replaaces that awful methane (fossil fuel) so that our air is at least a little cleaner....i can`t wait until we have e30 or at least more of a blend than 10%...so if anyone is afraid of it , then don`t use it...also, use common sense when using your small engines....

/ Increased Ethanol % #26  
the farmers grow more than enough corn for ethanol and to feed livestock....plus what is left over from the production of ethanol can also be used to feed livestock so it is a win win situation....plus, ethanol was not invented to replace gasoline, but to extend it so it lasts into the future. plus it replaaces that awful methane (fossil fuel) so that our air is at least a little cleaner....i can`t wait until we have e30 or at least more of a blend than 10%...so if anyone is afraid of it , then don`t use it...also, use common sense when using your small engines....

Your logic doesn't work. If farmers grow "more than enough corn", then why did the price of corn jump (almost double) when government mandated ethanol? Furthermore, ethanol from corn takes just about as much fossil fuel energy to produce it as it itself produces (take into account fossil fuels used for fertilizer, tractor fuel, transportation fuel, drying, ethanol making process, etc.) Net, ethanol doesn't save anything except pork barrel votes.

Don't forget that the increased price of corn (due to the ethanol scam), jacked up prices for food in poor countries who can't afford the price increase.

Oh yeah, don't forget that ethanol REDUCES vehicle mileage.

/ Increased Ethanol % #27  
Your logic doesn't work. If farmers grow "more than enough corn", then why did the price of corn jump (almost double) when government mandated ethanol?

Demand. it had nothing to do with mandates, just the demand for energy in general.

Furthermore, ethanol from corn takes just about as much fossil fuel energy to produce it as it itself produces (take into account fossil fuels used for fertilizer, tractor fuel, transportation fuel, drying, ethanol making process, etc.) Net, ethanol doesn't save anything except pork barrel votes.

I have read several studies that have made that claim yet have not seen one that was the least bit accurate.

It could be true, just haven't seen any solid numbers.

Don't forget that the increased price of corn (due to the ethanol scam), jacked up prices for food in poor countries who can't afford the price increase.

The price of food reflected the price of energy more than the price of corn.

Oh yeah, don't forget that ethanol REDUCES vehicle mileage.

Not necessarily.

/ Increased Ethanol % #28  
Ethanol has less energy in it than gasoline. Putting 10% Ethanol in gasoline reduces the amount of energy in that gallon of gas by some finite amount. Unless your engine can increase its efficiency, you will get less energy/power out of your engine when burning the same amount of fuel compared to using 100% gasoline. If you are getting less power/energy out per gallon, your mileage will go down.

The oil companies put the ethanol in because they get tax breaks for doing so. (it is in their economic interest to do so) Plus, putting in the ethanol means that folks will have to buy more gallons to go the same distance, or do the same amount of work.

The Corn lobby is incredibly huge. It is in the best interest (economically) of the corn producers to add ethanol to the fuel supply. However there have been numerous studies that have shown that ethanol from corn is not a net positive, it is a break even proposition at its best. In other words, it takes as much or more energy to produce the energy in the ethanol (most really good studies have shown that it takes more energy to produce the ethanol than is in the ethanol).

/ Increased Ethanol % #29  
Ethanol has less energy in it than gasoline. Putting 10% Ethanol in gasoline reduces the amount of energy in that gallon of gas by some finite amount. Unless your engine can increase its efficiency, you will get less energy/power out of your engine when burning the same amount of fuel compared to using 100% gasoline. If you are getting less power/energy out per gallon, your mileage will go down.

Your forgeting that Ethanol has more oxygen in it. And it is cheaper to purchase.

The Corn lobby is incredibly huge. It is in the best interest (economically) of the corn producers to add ethanol to the fuel supply. However there have been numerous studies that have shown that ethanol from corn is not a net positive, it is a break even proposition at its best. In other words, it takes as much or more energy to produce the energy in the ethanol (most really good studies have shown that it takes more energy to produce the ethanol than is in the ethanol).

I would love to read a reputable study that can come out with a absolute conclusion. Most studies that I have read have had major flaws in them.