Increased Ethanol %

/ Increased Ethanol % #1  

Ford850

Tractor
Case DX55, Ford 850
I saw a segment on a farm show the other day, discussing the most recent push to increase the percent of ethanol in gasoline. A few of the highlights from the show were:
-The ag community is split over this, with the grain producers pushing for it, while the rest of the ag community fighting against it.
-The marine industry will be one of the hardest hit if this does pass, due to the older engines that cannot handle the ethanol increase.
-The number of issues it would cause is much greater than originally realized, with engine repair shops providing staggering figures of parts replaced today due to ethanol. It does major damage to small engines, even the newest ones.
-The damage comes from 2 fronts. One from the ethanol destroying the parts directly. The other comes from the water that the ethanol attracts/absorbs/holds.

I was on the fence as to whether or not it created real problems with today's engines, but after seeing the small engine damage at those shops there is no doubt in my mind now. I was somewhat shocked to see that type of report coming from an agriculture show.

/ Increased Ethanol % #2  
Kinda' like the ULSD issue causing injector pumps on older engines to go kerflooey.. :( AT least there are some additives you can use to help that problem. What can you do to fix ethanol? :confused:

/ Increased Ethanol % #3  
Maybe some chemical engineer can come up with a process to remove the alcohol and sell a kit.

/ Increased Ethanol % #4  
It is relatively easy to remove the ethanol.
Problem is it is used as an octane booster, so you may be left with gas that you can't use anyway, IOW the 87 octane you bought may be become too low to run without preignition issues.

Around me there are an increasing number of stations that sell ethanol free gas, I buy from them for all my small engine and marine uses. Their gas should be formulated to meet the octane without ethanol.

/ Increased Ethanol % #5  
I hope they do go to a higher blend of Ethanol. I would gladly run a higher blend then what we can get now.

/ Increased Ethanol % #6  
Just heard about this in the latest issue of Snow Tech magazine for snowmobiling.
Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - HOME

I have nothing to do with them but it appears to correct some problems with the E10 gas sitting. Keeps the gas working correctly. Interesting reading.

Steve

/ Increased Ethanol % #7  
Ethanol does a lot of good in fuel cleaning things up, removing water from your gas (think Heet for you northerners) octane boost and emissions. The issue for me is when they try and move it past its current ratio and try and use it as a substitute fuel for gas. 10% in fuel has a lot of benefits but taking the ratio higher doesn't give good return.

/ Increased Ethanol % #8  
Alcohol should NOT be in gasoline, unless being used as a means of ridding the fuel system of moisture, PERIOD :rolleyes:

/ Increased Ethanol % #9  
Around me there are an increasing number of stations that sell ethanol free gas, I buy from them for all my small engine and marine uses. Their gas should be formulated to meet the octane without ethanol.

They won't be selling it for long. The sale of non-ethanol gas will be banned in 2010. We are in a transitional period now. You didn't think the oligarchy would leave a door open on this issue, did you?